So yesterday, after a morning nap, we headed for the airport - for GA. Even though I thought the kids would do just fine, my stomach goes into knots now every time we travel. I paid for two checked bags (yes, that's right, you have to pay for EVERY bag you take on United) that were both 50lb on the money. One of them was VERY "Tommy Boy." A dinted and damaged box, clearly being held together with tape. And I had 3 HEAVY carry-ons (trying to bring everything I can so we have more room in the van when it's time to move again). We had lunch and went to our terminal to wait. A very nice person helped me drag my third carry-on onto the plane (it's exponentially harder without a stroller). On the plane, I thought for a moment we would miraculously have the row to ourselves, but to no avail. A German man sat next to us. Poor man! He was clearly uncomfortable with kids. And the kids were awful! Chloe was rebellious and Everett was... a baby. Both were grouchy-tired. I had to change Everett's poopy diaper in Chloe's seat (he let it rip just after going to the bathroom, while we were in line to enter the plane!) And then Everett dumped the man's drink in our laps. And he didn't even speak English, so I couldn't apologize. But thankfully most of it ran down My leg and into My shoe. In front of us was a couple with a toddler. They said, "wow, she's brave to be flying by herself with two kids!" I thought, "nope, just that stupid." The mother helped me off the plane in Chicago. Thankfully, we were delayed so we just chilled for a while and got some dinner. By the time we got back on the plane, both kids were past grouchy-tired and had thankfully moved on to listless-tired. They didn't nap, but were much better behaved. The poor girl in the row with us had to smell Everett's vomit-butt explosion which ran down his leg and a little into my lap, but that was the worst of it, so all went well that time! The man across the aisle was WONDERFUL. He played with Everett and was just sweet as could be. I'm sore from carrying about 80lb worth of baby and baggage once for a few feet. But the nice man helped me take it back off the plane and was again just SO sweet. I was a walking service opportunity, but as such, my faith in humanity is restored! So what do you think, brave or stupid? :) Ah well... we're here and enjoying it. Last night Chloe went nuts playing with the doggies. And despite the allergic Quasi Moto eyes, she's loving the cats too. This morning she got to go fishing with Papa and she's excited to play dress up and color with chalk. Everett is... NOT happy. He is freaking out, scared and clingy. So that's stressful, but still we're all glad to be here, and I look forward to seeing my family too. I've really had an itch to see them all. So anyway, More to come.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YOu know when you are desperate to see family you are willing to go through the heart ache that comes with traveling. I have done that many a time and in the end it is totally worth it. I have gotten good and bad reactions flying but just remember you have just as much right to be there as they do. YOu paid the same ticket you just have louder carry-ons :0) Brave girl BRAVe!!!!
I say BRAVE. YOu go into that knowing it will be a hellish day, but worth every min. to see family. I don't think it's stupid at all. You need to see family. And me!
And we're glad your here!
Post a Comment