Monday, August 4, 2008

Something New... ish

Well, we're in Omaha now.  Our tiring day of packing and cleaning was actually a pretty lazy day that made us really wish we could go ahead and get on the road.  It's good though because the next few days were exhausting!  Friday we finished packing up and vacuuming and hit the road.  Half way out of Utah, we realized we'd left some food in the fridge... oops.  


This trip was better. Day one stunk because Everett was GROUCHY.  He hasn't yet learned to be a good road tripper like Chloe.  It'll be better next time because he'll be turned around and can see us and I'll be able to reach him without getting out of my seatbelt and pulling muscles.  Toward the end of the day I got a little... sick.  We had to make an emergency stop just outside of Sidney, NE so I could fertilize a ditch.  We stopped in Sidney looking for a place to stay.  Prices were outrageous, so we were going to continue on but were worried we'd have to make another emergency stop.  It'd been a really long day.  That was around 8:30.  The kids didn't settle down until 11:00!!  It was maddening!  That morning, I woke up at 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep.  So at 5:30 I went to Walmart and wandered around, got breakfast, anything I could to let everyone sleep.  But at around 7:30, I crawled back into bed thinking I might finally be tired enough to sleep.  I got in bed with Chloe though and woke her up.  She bolted upright, pointed at the window and said "It's wake up time!!" Eugh.  So that was the end of that.  We kicked Chad out of bed and got back on the road. 

Travel day two was good.  It went quickly, with only one stop.  And Everett seemed to have accepted his fate, at least in part.  When we got here, our landlord greeted us and brought over a few things like lamps, a rug, shower curtain.  She's really nice and went crazy over the kids.  The house is really old.  It's a fixer-upper.  It's not bad though: lots of space, a yard and AIR CONDITIONING.  The only thing that really stinks is the bathroom.  I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable in there. When we got here, I put Everett down.  He was so excited to be free that he just crawled around and around as fast as he could.   He was black head to toe with-in seconds.  He had an allergic reaction too, and I thought "great, we're going to have to find somewhere else to live!"  But thankfully, it was just the dust from the floor (I don't like hardwood floors!)  Once we moped, things were MUCH better.  We all still have allergy issues; Chloe sneezes snot rockets about twenty times a day, but it's not too bad.  So we've spent two days cleaning like CRAZY, and it's starting to feel better here.  

I'm struggling right now to be happy or even optimistic for a number of reasons, (I'm desperately in need of some rest and familiarity) but I think in the end I will like it here.  Omaha is much prettier than SLC, but also MUCH more humid!!  I never realized how much difference it makes!!  But it sure makes things greener and more beautiful.  And hopefully we'll have some thunder storms.  I really missed that about SLC.  Today we'll probably venture out a bit and see what we find.  

6 comments:

Dana said...

I am so excited to see what your new adventures will bring. Your poor kids are doomed to a rough life with allergies huh? I didn't realize how sensitive they were. I am glad that the trip went better than last one.

Jodie said...

I'm glad you got there safely and are starting to get settled in! You guys are such troopers! Can't wait to hear about Omaha.

The Longnecker Zoo said...

You are keeping that road hot huh? Glad ya'll made it safe and sound! Love ya

Leighanna said...

Glad you made it. I have a question... What have you used for Ezcema? William has it bad on his legs and I haven't taken him to the doc yet... Just wondering if you have found anything that works? Hope you can get some rest from your trip!

Carla said...

Eczema: I've done it all. When it's really bad, I wash the kids with generic cetaphil face cleanser then use the lotion followed by vaseline to lock it in (especially before bedtime. Aquaphor healing ointment is good. Have you used Gentle Naturals? I've wondered if that works. Um, eucerin calming cream is great. It's got oatmeal which soothes the itchies. Hydrocorizone or a prescription steroid are the last options. Whatever you use, be religious with it, twice a day at least.

Hope said...

Oh Carla, I look forward to your return. I look forward to hearing about your Omaha adventures! Good Luck and Have Fun.