Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Callings and Learning

Well, yesterday was another big, BUSY day.  We had to go shopping and then to a WIC appointment (excited to have WIC back.)  We picked up Chad who took Chloe to help a girl move a couch.  They came back, scarfed some dinner and we all went to a meeting with the Bishop (the leader of our congregation or "ward".)  He just wanted to get to know us and issue some callings, well actually, they're officially just assignments (assignments are just less official than callings).  I'll be serving in the nursery.  I'm a little surprised, but of course not really.  I can see how I've been mentally prepared lately, (that's usually the case when I get a calling.)  It's perfect because I've been thinking a lot lately about Chloe's education, both secular and religious - home school vs. public, family home evening, and just learning in general.  I feel a strong drive to do more.  I am SO NOT gifted in the area of teaching, especially children!!!  But I want to because it's SO important.  


Chloe gets so frustrated when she doesn't know what's going on at all times.  Last week, I was coming out of a store and mumbling about needing to go back in because I thought I'd left my keys in the dressing room.  But I then found them and said, "oh, never mind."  Chloe didn't know what I was talking about and when I didn't wanna explain it all, she said "EUGH!!! I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!"  So I went through the whole story and said "Is that better?"  She said "yes!" and was perfectly happy once again - balance was restored!  It's exhausting trying to explain every move I make, and figure out how to do so in a way that she'll understand, and I get frustrated.  But I remember going through a phase of asking lots of questions and mom would get frustrated with me (mom, I TOTALLY don't blame you!) but I don't want to squelch her desire to understand the world.  Anyway, I'm excited to go to work and learn!

Chad will be teaching Elder's Quarum (the men of the church), maybe twice by the time we leave, but still... I think it'll be good for him.  It's good to expand and grow.  It was also good to get to know the bishop a bit.  I like him; he seems to be very... sensitive to the needs of the people he leads.  As he issued my calling, he said "I do so very... cautiously, given you're with kids all day, but I really feel like this is what's best for you and the ward."  I'm not overly impressed by Omaha, but our ward seems really great - very friendly and diverse, just a big family, everyone's from somewhere different, but they're all in it together.  I think there's a lot to learn and a lot of joy to be had in this ward.  Anyway, so I'm excited which is great because that's not usually my natural reaction to a calling.  It's usually "oh boy!! How am I supposed to do that?!" because expansion and growth is often a little painful.  In fact, I just realized that I prayed to learn how to better teach Chloe.  Be careful what you pray for right?  Hah!  Anyway, done ranting... Bishop also said, "wow, you guys are getting about 5 years of life experience crammed into one year!"  He's right.

3 comments:

The McCullough Crew said...

Yeah for WIC. I'm thankful for that as well.

I also got called to Primary. I thought if you had a baby that they wouldn't call you to it but thats not the plan. It has been a little tough but I'm still alive. Good luck on your calling.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Yeah! You'll be so great!!! Wish you were here to serve in nursery - we have 30 kids and no leaders called yet, just subs!!!

You're right about being careful what you pray for - but I'm sure the Lord knows how to give you what you really need. Sugardoodle.net has lots of great nursery ideas if you want to look.

Bond Bedlam said...

Carla - Primary is where I learned to teach my own children. And in spite of all the education classes that I have taken that's still the best place to learn it.