Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Birthday Season


Birthday season is in full swing at our house, starting with mine, yesterday.  Since I started having kids, my birthday has been... overlooked, most of all by me.  It was little more than a benchmark for upcoming deliveries and birthdays.  This time though, I've felt old (which is sad because I'm still fairly young!)  Like I said in my hair-dying post (which has already faded completely out by the way!!) I never go anywhere and never feel pretty and have kinda let myself go since we've been on rotations.  Everett's baby weight has been long gone, (I'm in pretty good shape and exercise most days) but the pudge is very much not gone, and gravity has begun to rear it's ugly head - which will only get worse with additional children.  I dread that - ah the price we mothers pay... Anyway, my mind has been turned to the past - family and old friends and excitement for the future when I get to see some of them again or make new friends. 


But, contrary to recent years, what a great birthday it was!  Chad had the morning off, so he got up with the kids and let me sleep in.  That's a very rare treat indeed because I usually can't manage to fall back asleep after hearing the kids, so he just doesn't even bother.  It was WONDERFUL to be well rested for a change!  Meanwhile, he and the kids went to Krispy Kream and got some donuts for breakfast.  Then we went to Burlingon to get a really nice warm coat for Mexico. (I was planning on a GA winter - worst case scenario, but upon some research have discovered that this VERY well may be my worst winter ever!  The high in the town we'll live is the midwest's low.  Go figure!!  When packing for rotations, I was unaware that this town was in the mountains!)
Then we took Chad to work and came back for naps.  After naps, we went back to Burlington to return a necklace that Chloe had taken to teach her about stealing.  Then grocery shopping and back to pick up Chad.  For dinner we had leftovers and Chad and Chloe made cupcakes together, frosted and topped with crumbled Cookie Crisp.  I've got the best hubbie ever!  He gave me all of my favorite junk food in one day and even creatively incorporated cookies.  It's a far cry from how his birthday turned out; it was a big flop.  Chloe ruined his surprise gift about two days before and we then gave him a card.  I don't even remember if I made cake.  And most of my family called and sang to me.  Oh and the best part ever was hearing Chloe sing to me with a big cute smile on her face - TWICE!  She loves birthdays.
And that evening Chad and I had some much needed together time instead of us each just each of us doing our own thing. It was great.  Happy Birthday to me!  Now on to prepare for the next two birthdays.

3 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

Happy happy Birthday Carla dear, happy days will come to you all year... if I had one wish that it would be, a happy happy birthday to you from me! (sung, totally off key, I'm afraid!)

Dana said...

Carla, you are a beautiful girl and don't forget it!!! YOu seem to have some appearance issues lately but you shouldn't because you are just beautiful!!!! I am so glad that you had a good birthday. I am sorry I didn't call. We have a baby with an ear infection and just a rough day.

Dana said...

I should have said beautiful Woman!!! Girl makes you sound little and your not. Love ya