Wednesday, July 2, 2008

PS) Sleep Help Please?

If any of you have any great tips or ideas about how to teach a 2 1/2 year old to sleep when it's time to sleep, PLEASE bring on the advice.  We've fought with her ever since switching her to a big girl bed over a year ago.  We finally just locked her in her room, but with the curtain/fan phobia and heat stroke risk...it's not working.  I swear, I've never heard or seen a human being fight sleep so hard!  That's why she's such a wretched grouch all the time!  Leading her back to bed is somehow the most fun game known to mankind.  I don't mind laying down with her for a while, but this is the only adult/me time I get all day.  Oh and naptime? forget it!  It's just quiet time...well, even that's a misnomer.  Ok, didn't mean to vent, just please, bring on the advice!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Man, that really sounds like fun. We have found that the crib is our only saving grace, but things do calm down when we follow this routine:
Bath-
Storytime with milk and something to fill the tummy-
I hold her and sing a couple of quiet songs (usually hymns)
I give her a book to read and lay her down. I'm thinking of putting a CD player in her room with relaxing music for the harder nights. As long as she isn't focused on the fact that she needs to go to bed, it's not to bad. After that, drug her. Kidding! I have a blog now: jlbcoleman.bloggspot.com

Miss ya!
Jen

Bond Bedlam said...

She is probably over nap time now. I don't know Dana was awful to try to get to bed.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Definate routine, which you probably already have. It's hard with the summer sun, so you may have to make bedtime later - take an extra long walk! She probably is getting to old for a nap, and trying to find her right sleep balance... not a fun time... but it does get better. You may want to try books on tape. We love all the Brite Music ones for that age. Sorry this is so long... but you did ask. Good luck. Pray for Mommy inspiration :)

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Carla, if she is scared of the curtians, take them down. Don't fight it. That is a scary thing for kids. You could always be white trash and put cardboard boxes up to block the heat/sunlight. It's not worth your child being that scared of. Also I agree...routine and stick to it. Don't fight the nap thing. Get an extra long easy listening CD that she has to stay in her room for. Tell her once that goes off, quiet time is over. That is easier for her to deal with. Night time, STAY CONSISTANT! Do your nightly routine then lights out. You could even do a "sleep chart" that she could earn a big reward for. Good luck!

Shawny said...

We played the childrens primary songs for Rex at night. We also put a dark blanket over the window to keep any sign of the sun out. Once Rex stopped taking a nap or having quiet time, his bedtime became much earlier--therefore the need for the blanket over the window. I'm sure it's just a phase and she'll grow out of it. It's possible the move has affected her in some way and this is her way of expressing it. I'm learning more and more that kids have lots of phases. Just when you think you have one figured out, they start doing something else.