Saturday, January 23, 2010

What a Night!

It started like this...
... and ended like this.
This doesn't even show how bad it is/was. This is the next morning, after she's been patched up.

The shindig was a benefit/gala for the hospital? I dunno, anyway. So our babysitter was Chad's right hand, his assistant. We got to the party around 7:10, got drinks, had our picture taken, chatted. Chad's work had a big table, front and center. I finally got to meet two more of his associates. We were having a lovely time. I didn't feel terribly uncomfortable or nervous or out of place. It was nice. The event got started around 8 with a few words and a great salad. Then we got the call that Chloe had busted her lip. All of the eye associates expressed their regrets, got our coats, gave medical advice, they even got our waiter to box up some dinner for us (it was just starting to come out when we stood up to leave!) Every time I interact with these guys, I'm amazed at what sweethearts they all are!

During all of this, I'm thinking she probably slipped on our slick tile living room floor (it's a dang liability!) or she fell doing something we've nagged her not to do. It'd be a big cut, we'd put some super glue on it, ice, tylenol, lots of hugs and kisses, better by morning. After all the time, money, and excitement spent in preparation for this event, (after all we haven't had a date since we got here) I was expecting a no big deal kind of cut. But after getting home (around 8:45) and seeing the monstrosity that was my poor daughter's face, I was glad came home! It hurt to look at. It was literally split in half! Easily the worst injury we've had in our family to date. Our poor babysitter felt terrible. I can just imagine some of the thoughts going through her head.

Apparently they were upstairs watching a movie, playing and Everett pushed her (playing.) The babysitter had her back turned, but judging from the blood upstairs, they were playing on the couch and her mouth hit the corner of the arm where the padding meets the plywood.

So after our 1 1/2 hour long date, (at around 9:00) I put Everett to bed, had dinner and watched a chick flick. Chad got Chloe stitched up. He called Dr. S at the party; Dr. S asked if we had anything to sedate her with. What?? No! So, apparently they ran to his house to get supplies for some reason, then went somewhere else (I'm guessing to the office) to sew her up. I'm not really sure what exactly happened there. But Dr. S has a big, smelly, girl dog that Chloe was very excited about. Well, Dr. S had had a few drinks, so he got another doctor. from the party to help. In comes the entire eye associates' table (minus one couple.) They laid her in a "magic chair" while 3 doctors in tuxes stitched her up. They gave her a mild local and told her they were giving her magic medicine, while they stitched her up. She couldn't see what they were doing and she had a bouncy ball with eyes, daddy rubbing her legs, and Dr. S's wife holding her hand, singing to her the entire time. If this girl isn't a spoiled little princess, I don't know who is! haha. Then I guess she got this enormous blue diamond ring for being so good. This was all to save us a couple hours' wait at the emergency room. And apparently because the party wasn't fun and they wanted to do something fun. For these guys stitching up a little girl's lip is fun. They got home around 11:20; and Chloe was so excited. She seemed to have just had the time of her life!
What a night!

6 comments:

Leighanna said...

Holy cow! Poor Chloe!!! I remember when William split open his lip - what a pain... and we did go to the ER for a few hours only for them to decide to let it just heal on its own. (But, it wasn't as bad as Chloe's wound is! Ouch!) What a catastrophe! What a nice group of associates Chad has though. I hope she heals quickly!

Jodie said...

Oh my goodness! So sad, but it sounds like the fun she had made up for the pain!

And I'm dying to know...did you make your dress?? :)

Carla said...

I made my dress a year and a half ago for the "eye ball" at school. I just changed the sleeves and added some trim for this event.

Dana said...

Girl the dress is beautiful!!!! And holy cow poor Chloe!!!! Accidents happen and I am just glad she is okay!! I am sooo glad you guys have such wonderful people that you are working with. That can make a difference in so much!!!

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Holy crap! Ya'll can't do anything half way huh? HA HA HA! Just playing. He is working with a great group huh? And yes again (notice my irratation ) you touch something and it turns to gold. It is a beautiful dress! ;) I love you. Maybe next date will hold less drama huh?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.