Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Holiday Time Out

I must admit I've been a little depressed lately. I think that's standard when we move to a new place, especially during the winter months. I spend a while getting the house settled and then I get down because it still doesn't feel like "home" i.e. lack of friends, babysitters, obligations, etc. So that's why I've not been blogging. A while ago, I retracted my "a negative blog is better than no blog" philosophy so as to avoid any blog-related drama. But we got a reprieve during a fun Christmas with the family...


We got to GA late Monday night, spent the days until Christmas Eve with his family. We got to have a date to see New Moon. That night we opened gifts and had a nice dinner. Then we packed up and headed to my family's house. We spent Christmas day with my parents and my brother and his family. It was nice to see them since the cruise and get to know their son a little better.

Then came the chaos. Two of my sisters and their 11 children came later Christmas day. The next day, Saturday, Chad and I dropped the kids off with his mom and had another date -- an Ikea shopping spree. While we were shopping, Chloe's uncles took her to see the Princess and the Frog. Sunday Chad came back home to work while I stayed longer with my family. Monday my sisters went to Ikea while my mom and I ran errands and just hung out. Tuesday they went to the princess movie and I met them for some Target shopping. Wednesday Jumpin' Jellybeans, always fun. And Thursday I came home. Some times are more stressful than others, but I really enjoyed my sisters, nieces, and nephews this time! I was ready for the peace and quiet of my home, but really it was sad to leave.

Everett really got into the unwrapping this year. He loved discovering Thomas videos and trains. He kept diving back into that bag for more trains and tracks. It was fun to watch.
Playing with the toys Santa brought.
Everett being a goober. He loved jumping off my mom's hearth and getting everyone to cheer for him.MMMM.... fondu, a fun tradition.
Gotta love those slides at Jumpin' Jellybeans!
She's so cute! Why can't she smile like that for me every time?! Just before hitting the road, the girls had fun playing twister.
I didn't even come back to peace... I came back to major disorder. Chad had been busy building furniture. We'd gotten 7 furniture items, a mattress, a rod with a few baskets that hang from it, etc... he got most of it put together but the house was a total wreck! It's starting to shape up now though, and I'm loving my furniture. Most of all my square shelving unit-more pictures to follow, when I get it all situated.Chad's bookshelf, in his nook in the master bedroom.
Got two of these. Not sure what color/s to finish them, but I'll definitely change the pulls... eventually.
Hopefully I can paint soon and get the baskets hung on the rod. I'm thrilled to have a spot for the kids to color while I make dinner. And now we can have at least the missionaries over for dinner since we have another spot to put the kids!
I've given up on this room ever looking good, but until we can afford a decent futon, the loveseat for the living room is in the den. It's a nice simple shape so when it starts looking gross, I'll make a cover for it.
Oh yeah, I hung some curtains a while ago too. Maybe one day I'll get the formal dining room in order, but for now, it's my storage room.
The mantle is kind of a storage spot at the moment too, but it looked nice for Christmas.

2 comments:

Dana said...

you are sooo talented Carla. Anything you touch turns into gold. I love the idea of a little corner for the kids to color. My colors would never stay put though. But very cute. I absolutely looooooove the large cubbies. I so want to do that in my sitting room. So cute

Bond Bedlam said...

Very attractive and I know you will do a lot more it just takes time. And yes you are very talented. What a remark the guy made - can you read that tape measure - you should have slapped him.