Thursday, January 14, 2010

Out of Place?

I fancy myself a bit of a handy woman. Not because I know a lot, but because I can manage to figure out most things. And because I'm not afraid of power tools. I got an intro to woodworking and measurements as a custom framer. I'm the one that's excited to get them for Christmas, not Chad. He's the idea's guy. So he and my do-it-all Dad help with projects where I get stuck.


Home ownership is a fun adventure. It gives me an outlet for being handy and I'm learning a lot. When I go to Lowe's, I've discovered that women only go in the paint and decor section, the front of the store. So in my many trips, I expect ample offers of help from employees, or even gawking customers as I (with my two kids) debate which circular saw to buy or when I push a sheet of plywood 4 times my size down the aisle...

(I just heard Everett offer a prayer all by himself. He and Chloe are playing "school." I guess you offer prayer when you start school : ) Now Chloe's trying to teach him to write his name. How cute and sweet! A welcome reprieve from the fighting which has peeked lately. I have got to get that girl into pre-school!)

... anyway, I suppose I am a bit of a spectacle. It's uncomfortable, but also amusing. Oh well, I manage. Last time, I had a tape measure to make sure I wasn't buying wood that was too thick to fit where I need it when a customer/contractor came by and mockingly said, "you know how to read a tape measure?!" Then he gave me his card and said, "for whatever you can't do." It was a little insulting and yet I'm very amused that buying power tools and lumber makes me a freak. Fun times.

5 comments:

Dana said...

I don't know how I didn't comment last night. I think I was so discuted about your experience in Lowe's maybe I just walked away from the computer. You of all people are so very capable of making projects out of wood. Can you read a tape measure. ewww I could slap somebody. You should have thrown the card back at him and said I can do just about everything you can dude. Now me--- I fit into that mold that doesn't know how to manage in Lowe's I hate going in there I don't know where anything is.

Leighanna said...

I don't get offended real easily - I prefer laugh at other people's stupidity. I would have happily thanked him and then told him that I had a perfect spot to stick his card. And smiled honestly while doing it.

The Longnecker Zoo said...

You should have told him, "thank you sir but I can do it all. I won't be needing your services". What a punk!

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Ha, Leighanna I just read your comment. That's great! You are such a hoot!

Carla said...

Haha, yikes. I didn't expect such confrontational comments! I just kept looking at him like "psh, yeah I can do it." and laughed. I threw it in the basket for... later.