Sunday, November 30, 2008

Church Antics

Well, this week went very quickly.  My room mate's husband came into town last weekend, so for the 3 days that Chad worked, I had company.  It was strange, but went quickly.  And we had a lovely weekend.  


Last night, Everett woke up unable to breath (not sure if he's sick or if it's a teething issue).  So it was kind of a long night, but we still made it to OUR branch at church today and met some more English speakers.  I feel really badly saying "sorry I don't understand" when they ask me the most basic of Spanish questions.   It's not that I don't know the words, I just can't pick them out when they speak, or I get nervous and brain freeze so I can't translate it.  

It's a really big branch compared to the other one.  Our kids were the most disruptive in the branch.  They're younger than most of the others, and they're WAY out of practice.  It's embarassing though.  I wore my new necklace today.  During sacrament, I was standing off to the side rocking Everett, trying to get him to nap.  He was playing with it gently (which is a miracle given he's a human wrecking ball!) and it just broke.  So all of the beads loudly drop onto the tile floor and start bouncing all over the chapel.  If that wasn't enough, a little girl quickly jumped up and started chasing them all down and bringing them to Chad as I tried to quietly sneak out the back and salvage what bits I'd caught.  Sheesh!  It lasted just barely longer than Chad's flip flop in Acupulco.

Allison, if you thought you were a freak with twins in America, don't come here.  Everyone loves children.  Young men stop and baby talk to Everett.  It doesn't bug me though because in America, everyone seemed to have some comment about how I was raising them.  Here, they just seem to ooh and ahh.  Maybe that's because I don't understand them, who knows.  But everyone here has at least one child, usually two or more.  One sister that I was talking to kept having to say "no, I'm sorry, you can't hold him, he's sick."  Probably 5 times in the couple of minutes I was standing there.  I think it's cool.  People tend to yield to those with children - at least in our city.  Traffic stops for me to cross the street all the time when I go out.  And no one's ever in a hurry.  It's really nice.  

I'm really super excited about some of the Christmas crafts and activities I've got planned.  I did a lot of shopping yesterday (a little Christmas shopping) and stocked up on crafty supplies.  Let me tell you, I had to go all over the city for it too!  More on that to come - when I get my camera.  Among my shopping yesterday, I got some fabric.  When I went to Germany years ago, I ended up buying some fabric and making a throw pillow.  I use it every day and it still reminds me of that trip.  So I got some really pretty fabric.  It's not Mexican looking, but I'm excited about and love it. 

4 DAYS UNTIL BOARDS ARE OVER!

1 comments:

Dana said...

Oh my gosh girl!!! That necklace thing is total blogging material. They have tile floor in the church? That is so Mexico I guess. It does sound like you are more upbeat about the whole Mexico thing. Almost excited girl!! Good for you.