We went to Universal on opening day of their Harry Potter park. Mistake. Unfortunately we couldn't go any other day and still see it. So... we braved the ridiculous crowds.
Can you see all the people stretched all along the water? We were in line when I took this picture. This was at about 9:20 when we got there and already it was so hot that we were taking turns in line and turns sitting in the shade. It was fun when we got to the Universal globe. It was kind of a fountain, so the kids played in it. It was nice and cool.
This is the only time all week the kids complained. They were troupers! It was HOT. About 2 1/2 hours later, we got into the park. We went the short way back to the back of the park, to Hogsmeade. They weren't letting people in. They told us to go all the way back to the other way around the park. (That was an 8 hour wait. With two little ones, there was no way.) By this time, my MIL and I were FED UP with the ridiculousness that was Universal. It was UNREAL how poorly they handled everything. They were absolutely just making up as they went along. They were creating and absolving lines randomly so that your wait time depended entirely on luck. Nothing was roped off, no signs, every line was permeable... the employees clearly didn't even have a clue what was going on. We got a different story from every person we asked a question. Anyway, I don't want to rant. I did enough of that at the time. It was just an insane nightmare and it didn't have to be. We stopped in this store at the Marvel Superhero park. They happened to have Spiderman there, with no wait. So the kids got to meet him.
This is Everett's feeble attempt.
This is when Lydia (my MIL) and I tried to get our money back for these fast pass things we bought that ended up being useless. Even though they sell the fast passes at this store, the manager sent us to the front of the park to Customer Services. I said, "So we've got to stand in another line?!" He said, "no there shouldn't be a line." Pahah! It was another 2 1/2 hour line. It's just as well though because after getting the runaround again, we decided we'd be getting our money back on everything. We made friends with the other people in line. Everyone was perfectly nice, just fed up with Universal. While Lydia went to get our tickets and credit cards from the guys, the man behind me said, "go sit in the shade, I'll keep your spot." People were dropping like flies all day, literally, passing out from heat and dehydration. To avoid any lawsuits, the corporate folks started passing out water. Each of them had different answers for us too. Anyway, I lucked out and Lydia was mad enough to stand in line while I sat in the a.c. around the corner. I'd go get water and food and bring it back... you had to tag-team to not pass out no matter how healthy you are. So we finally got into the customer service building and the girl tried to tell us she's the head of customer service but wasn't authorized for refunds, she could only offer us another ticket for another day. We would've taken it, because ridiculous as it is, we really want to see Hogsmeade! But we didn't trust it. I just know by the time we are ready to go back, it would've expired or some crap. So after not much arguing and with no higher authorization, she gave us a refund, no problem. I could not believe how much $ we got back, how much we had spent to be there! Chad was excited to see Marvel Island. I was too, but... while we were in line, here's what the others got to do.
This is part of a store front. Wolverine's claws hang down to the ground.
And they got to meet Wolverine, another of Chad's favorites.
We had to wring him out before getting him in the car.
This serpent thing came above ground all around the pool and culminated in this little slide, easily Chloe's favorite thing. The night we arrived, we went right over to the pool. Chad sent Chloe down the slide. I caught her, gave her a float and sent her on her way. I was waiting for him to send Everett down so I could catch him, when I turned to tell Chloe something. She didn't get what I was trying to tell her... that's when Everett came. I didn't see him and had no idea he was in the pool until the lifeguard jumped in to rescue him. Poor kid! I almost drowned him!! And the crazy thing is, there were parents Everywhere who saw what was going on. No one grabbed him or tried to alert me. I mean, I was at the mouth of the slide and he was on the other side of the pool when the lifeguard grabbed him. I felt awful. The trouper didn't even cry. He just went right back up the slide. The rest of the days we had lots of safe fun in the pool.
Another side note: by day 2 I had fought off my sinus almost-infection and a stomach bug. But by day 4 everyone else was sick. No one else vomited, they just had the yuckies and gassies that trail on and on. The kids are still dealing with it.
4 comments:
You want to see it so bad but the poorly set up staff and heat puts you in tears and you just want the vacation to be wonderful and sometimes you just need a nice time out in the pool. I am glad in the end you guys had fun. And Everett didn't drown so you can't even count that as a bad mark to add to the list.
I am at a loss for words for your whole trip. Next time, you HAVE to go with us - I promise I can erase what bad memories you have from this trip! I can't believe you guys attempted Universal on the opening day. I read a Yahoo article about the masses at the park that day and thought to myself, "I hope Chad and Carla aren't there!" Ugh... Ok - in about a year or two, you guys are going to brave it again and come with us... but in late fall to early spring. I am sooo sorry you all got sick! I am so sad reading all your posts! :(
Holly Cow what a merisable time and money spent and didn't even get to see what you wanted to see!!! - Leighanna I sure hope you show them the ropes because my guess is that they will NOT want to spend time and money there ever again. Is Disney World better?
Disney is GOBS better! Everyone kept saying, "if disney was doing this they would've done it right."
Post a Comment