Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 4: Magic Kingdom

This is just a super cute random shot from the Animal Kingdom I had to throw in here.
Whew, I'm running out of steam here. Only a couple days left. So Day 4 we went back to the Magic Kingdom. This time we spent most of our time in Futureland. It was cool. The kids got to drive cars... Everett just barely made the cut off on size, poor little shrimp. I think they had a blast!
You can't see it, but here, they were waiting to park when Everett started playing with his whistle (the whistles were Chad's bright last-minute idea for "stranger safety." In hindsight, we'd have whistles too.) But when traffic started moving, Chad hit the gas. Everett, with the whistle still in his mouth perked up and acted like it was absolutely imperative that he get his hands back on that wheel. I think they both felt like big people. It was cute and they loved it.
After that, we went to the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. It was a cute little comedy show.
We also rode, my favorite ride of the week, Buzz Lightyear's ride. Don't remember the exact name, but it was way cool! You sit in these pods, spin them around and shoot at the targets. Chloe's little arm is controlling the spin. My in-laws said she made them a little sick. Chad made me a little sick too; it just goes with the ride I think. But it was so cool b/c it's like you're in a side-scroller (the classic mario style) video game. How cool would it be to paint a little boy's room like this?! I'm gonna do it, one day... somehow.After that, Chad had to go to his continuing ed. classes at the conference. When he left, I kinda started to fall apart. I was tapped out with the heat and crowds. We stopped for lunch at apparently the only place in Futureland and had to elbow and fight to get a seat. I felt better after lunch but then Everett dumped my food in the floor and after elbowing our way into the bathroom, a toilet attacked me and Chloe. (It flushed for no reason and splashed ALL over twice.) By then I was DONE. But I was a little better after a little rant. So my in-laws convinced me to go to the other side of the park to get this pirate gun that Everett had fallen in love with. So we did. We watched a little show on the way there (The shows are a good way to cool off.)

Once we got out of the show they had roped off for the parade, so we got stuck in that mess and had to stop our quest for the gun. Then, due to weather, they cancelled the parade. This time it was legit. There was a little bit of lightening nearby, and it looked like the bottom was about to drop. So we stayed put under a porch roof. We stayed huddled in there with the crowds for, I dunno, over an hour, maybe close to two, during a torrential downpour. We had rain gear, but the roof was leaking and we were right on the edge of the roof where a gutter was pouring out on us. Finally, I got pretty cold and said, "do you think it's safe to go?" The lightening had passed, so we did. We forced Everett into a poncho, hunched down, and ran for the exit. We were way back in the back of the park too! We strolled through water that came over the stroller wheels. It was an adventure. By the time we made it to the bus station, Everett had passed out under his poncho. We were tired, drowned rats with squishy shoes. We had just barely missed our bus, so we had to wait another 25 min... I was just happy to be cooled down and done for the day. By that point we all were very much tapped out. Aside from the fit about the poncho, the kids were an absolute dream.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Sounds like you guys should have limited yourselves to just 3 days instead of a whole week. I have heard that from others. That a week is just too much and you start resenting the experience. I have also heard that people alternate days. One day at the park and then another day somewhere else visiting FL.

Leighanna said...

(Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is the name of the ride). I love when it rains there! The crowds totally clear out - you just have to be willing to get wet. One thing about the rain - it is actually hard to see much of the sky from the parks. You can't even see fireworks from other parks. So, there may be a storm moving in but you won't know until it is right on top of you. Also, being surrounded by ocean on all sides, those storms move fast and change direction often.
Here is my tip for handling the parks well - you get up and do Early Magic Hours and only stay until about 11 or so... then head back to the resort for rest time during the hot hours (12-3)... then you are ready to handle the rest of the day - so go to the park that is open until midnight or later. (Although I realize this info is useless now).

Lisa Brown said...

We love the Buzz Lightyear ride too. They have a simlilar one at Disney Studios called Toy Story Mania, and I like it even better. So glad you had an awesome time! It looks like you had a blast at Universal too :).