Friday, September 11, 2009

Such Sweet Sorrow


So we're going on a 7 day cruise tomorrow, and I can't sleep. Before getting befuddled by the Bahamas, I wanted to write down just how much I've enjoyed the kids the past few days. Chloe has had some pretty rebellious moments the past few weeks, but I finally forced her to take a nap the other day. Since then, she's been so helpful and grown up. I've enjoyed the moments when she has helped me or done stuff on her own. (Most times I just cringe because it's hard for me to let go of control. Pathetic I know. I hate it!)


Everett came down with a fever the other night (no worries, he's already on the mend). All he wanted was to snuggle with me. I loved it! I love my kids' snuggles more than anything in the world, and it's so rare that they specifically want me. Last night, Everett woke up a couple of times, so I got TONS of snuggles! Chloe woke up too from a totally different ailment. Normally I wouldn't think to snuggle her afterwards because she almost never wants to. But Chad suggested it, so I did. And it was WONDERFUL! It was about midnight, but we just talked quietly, in her especially grown up way - and snuggled. I don't think I've really been able to hold her like that since long before toddlerhood.

So anyway. I'm having a much harder time leaving them than I ever would've expected. Last night I had restless anxiety dreams in the moments between the snuggles. I totally trust Lydia, but she's not me or Chad. So I worry that they'll be sad. I worry that I'll be sad. I worry that they won't be sad and I'll come back feeling totally unnecessary. I've never left the kids overnight with anyone but Chad, and even then I think it was two nights. I hurried home before my post-op sister was even ready because it just felt so not ok for me to be gone... It's weird and I don't like it. I know we'll have tons of fun. I'll stay busy. I'm SO grateful for this opportunity for so much adult time. It's just the actual leaving that stinks!

2 comments:

Becky McArthur said...

No need to worry. They will be fine and so will you. You guys just have fun and remember you can always call and check on them daily. I'm jealous you guys get to go on such a sweet vacation. I hope you have a blast!

Dana said...

Girl I would totally get a blessing and even get the kids a blessing if they are showing any worry at all. I think it is totally warranted. You guys will be fine and you will all appreciate each other more with time away from each other.