Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What the Heck??

Do most kids decide they no longer need to sleep around 18 months?  As a baby Chloe was a good sleeper, but her bedtime became a thorn in my side ever since the day we moved her to a toddler bed.  After weeks of trying every night to get her to stay in bed, we resorted to locking her in her room and have done so ever since.  She can get those child locks off now so we tape it on.  We've tried recently letting her free, and she does well for a few nights, but then starts to sneak out again.  


Now for the real problem:  Everett.  He's always been a great sleeper!  Even after we moved him out of the crib and started leaving his door open.  Only now, he has suddenly been giving problems.  He sneaks out of his door is open, screams bloody murder if it's closed, banging on the door.  If I lay with him he checks to make sure I'm still there until I loose patience and leave.  I don't know if he's vying for attention, asserting his agency (terrible twos : ( ), or genuinely afraid I'm not going to be there when he wakes up.  The only way I can get him to sleep is to wait until he screams himself out and either continue to ignore him or go lay with him for a few minutes until he's out.  I don't get it.  Why the over night change?  How can I get my sweet sleeper back?

3 comments:

KVB said...

We've been pretty fortunate with Lillian, she mostly will hang out in her room, though she'll sneak out if there is something specific that she wants. The closing the door thing though... She hates it when we close the door, and does the pounding thing too. Good luck with them.

Dana said...

Have you thought about putting the two of them in the same room? My kids have always have someone in the same room with them. It can cause a problem with them playing with each other but I would rather than than hear the screaming constantly. Its just a thought. Did you see my response on my blog about LIllie? Most kids don't like being alone. Thats just how life is. YOur kids are not abnormal by any means. YOu just don't want to have to deal with normal!!!

Bond Bedlam said...

Oh yeah they get over naps Carla