Easter comes after about 8 months of celebrations for us, between birthdays, holidays and anniversary. I'm not a holiday person, so by now I usually feel a bit of drudgery as I try to come up with more traditions, activities, and ideas of how to make this one special and meaningful. I'm always hard pressed to get enthused about it. This year has been no different. Except that this year, I've been exercising my faith on behalf of my life and, more recently, the health of my sister. So as I've tried to think of how to explain the real reason for all of the eggs, bunnies, and junkfood to my 3 year old, and with everything else going on, I find that my mind keeps coming back to the Atonement. I'm grateful for it. I know that because of the atonement, we're able to exercise our faith and have our prayers answered. It's a big comfort to know that I can be forgiven of my sins. But even more amazing to me than that, is that I now know that it's because of the atonement that we can be healed and comforted. Oh how I've longed that at times! And now I want that for my sister! And I know that it will come if our faith is sufficient and we and those around us have learned what we needed to learn. Knowing that our Father loves us and it's all in our best interest, is comfort.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Easter
The kids have been terrible this weekend. But we decorated eggs (paper and hard boiled) and went for an egg hunt. Everett broke his egg, threw it in the green color and then just wanted to dump and drink the vinegar water. That kid's a tornado! I know I know, he's a boy. I didn't remember the dye taking so long to dissolve, so they got impatient. It was a mess.

Can you tell who made each egg? (Side note: It's funny, Chloe really does have a talent for recognizing the aesthetically pleasing, i.e. balance, symmetry, etc. We each made two and her second is even better. But she gets so frustrated when she can't do a craft the way she wants it. She got upset because the pipe cleaner wouldn't stick immediately. She's just like me in that way. I remember in high school painting a sky. I wasn't pleased with how it was going, and then I looked over at my friend's few easy strokes. Her's looked SO much better and I got frustrated that I wasn't better at painting.)
But the egg hunt was fun. Chad quit studying for boards to join in on that, so it was nice. Everett seemed confused by the frenzied "clean up." And he wouldn't eat the candy, only the chocolate ones. He'd just dump the jellybeans and skittles in the grass and then put them in the basket one by one. We all played at the park afterward too. Tonight, our friends invited us over for Easter dinner. So yummy! And that was the extent of the festivities at our house. No pretty new spring dress, no basket overflowing with candy and gifts. And despite the kids' behavior, it's been a good Easter. I've been grateful for this time to reflect on and give thanks for the atonement and resurrection.
Posted by Carla at 8:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Fun eggs...I love Easter! Chloe has some OCD tendencies...not a bad thing, she just wants things to be right!
Oh my gosh - Chole is like her mother! - How many times have you gotten upset over a project that didn't go as planned. And I thought you would have a nervous break down over making you wedding dress that looked so beautiful on you. - Carla thank you for reminding us of the Atonement and remembering Dana in your prayers - We are still praying for a healing.
Post a Comment