Friday, April 3, 2009

South for the Winter

I'm sick of the cold, wet gray that seems to inundate the midwest's spring time.  So I drove south to see my sister.  I only spent a couple of days, but we had a lot of fun.  We went to the gym, shopping, and swimming.  We played at the park, crafted and painted.  I got to live vicariously through her by helping paint her bathroom vanity (I'm trying hard not to think about the possibility of getting a house any where in the near future, because it could still be years away.)  It looks awesome now!  

The kids played really well together.  Chloe enjoyed playing with her older cousins and liked building train track bridges with Gabe.  The twins Everett's age taught him a new word, "mine."  But they didn't teach him by saying it all of the time; they taught him by trying to take his toys.  It was a riot to watch him fight them off.  He wasn't mean, but he held his own.  He'd stuff his gathering of toys under his legs or tummy and then watch the twins, giving them the evil eye, saying "mine" or "no" if they came anywhere close.  Or he'd push their hands off the piano and say "no no no!"  It was funny; and he handled it very tactfully.  
Last time we visited, Chloe had a blast at the indoor playground/pool.  I think she was Everett's age.  She'd throw herself in, almost drown, giggle, and do it again.  It was fun to see her so excited, but she gave me a work out.  Now she's big enough to stand up, so I didn't have to worry about her at all.  Everett just held onto me, or sat still giggling and playing.  So I got to relax and play.  It's always fun when we go to that pool.  
Luck of all luck, I happened to mention that I was on the look out for a treadmill.  My sister happened to have one she wanted to get rid of.  I brought it home hanging out the back of my trunk.  I got to use it today since my friend couldn't go walking.  It is really nice to be slightly more impervious to the weather here.  I don't know if it's because I'm here temporarily or because I have the perfect Mexican winter fresh in my mind, but this year's weather has bothered me more than ever this time, even though I got to spend most of it in Mexico.  Maybe it's because I know I'm moving back south very soon.  It'll be blazing hot by then, but I'll take that over the cold and dreary any day.

0 comments: