I wrote this the morning after arriving here:
Another thing I've learned is to be my kids' best friend and to make them my best friends. We are worlds closer now. (I think they trust and rely on me more than Chad, which amazing because it has CERTAINLY not always been the case!) They really are WONDERFUL kids!! On the drive to GA, I just kept looking back going, "HOW did we get so lucky?!!" I especially feel that now that Everett is a little happier. For about 4 months he's been miserable with the life changes, teething, and a stomach bug that he got two rounds of. But now that I can see it, I am amazed at his little spirit. I mean, I really don't see him coming across many people that don't just fall in love with him right from the off. He has such a big sense of humor and his smile can just melt hearts - well, at least mine. And Chloe... she amazes me too! She's SO mature! She understands WAY more concepts than I ever thought a 3 year old could grasp. And BEAUTIFUL. On the drive, I also kept thinking, "Holy Cow, how and when did she get so stinking beautiful?!" Strangers all the time say how beautiful she is with her crazy curly hair. Walking into Casa Bonita the other day, we passed a group of people headed to their car and one of them said, "your children are very beautiful!" I know Chloe will at least a little, but I hope she never truly questions her beauty and worth.
Truly I feel the hand and love of the Lord in my life! I am amazed at how much He's given me and how much He obviously loves me. I mean just look at this view outside my bedroom window!
So, about 35 hours after writing the above, my spirits are much lower. I've lost courage. The kids were terrible yesterday. Everett wants more than anything to climb the 3 flights of cement stairs but has already busted his head once. And his eternal intestinal issues struck again. I've already had to do a $4 load of laundry because he pooped ALL over his bed and then ours. There are no bathtubs, only showers. So I don't know if I'll be able to avoid that expense. We're richer than a lot of people here, but things are way more expensive than I expected and we feel stress of trying to pinch pennies to stay with in budget. (Most things seem comparable to America, but some things cost more; and we don't get WIC or food stamps. And we have to pay for transportation.) Chloe's been bored, but has already taken to Chenelle, one of the girls that lives here with us. She's really really sweet and friendly and is really good with Chloe. We've had no hot water in the past 35 hours and everyone including the kids have had to have cold showers. The hot water heater is on the roof and keeps getting the pilot light blown out (it's insanely windy right now.) The kitchen and living room are gross; really all of Mexico is dirty. But we have no decent cleaning supplies. Mexicans don't seem to realize or care about what a pretty city they have. They just dump their trash anywhere. And the sewer system REALLY STINKS! The stench seeps up all of the drains in the house so the bathrooms and kitchen reek no matter what. And hold your nose when you walk past one in the street! The upstairs is nice though. The landlord remodels a bit any time there's a gap between tenants. I'd love to see what it's all like when it's done. I've only ventured outside twice for a little walk. When they get back from work, we're all going to brave going to the grocery store. I have no doubt that I will have loved my time here; but right now it's really stressful and I'm counting down the days until we get to go home.
6 comments:
Keep reading what you first wrote Carla. It will help with your spirit. I was excited to read the above stuff. You will be fine. When the hard times happen, think, "This too shall pass." Learn what you need to learn now so you won't have to "learn" it again.
I love you and wish I could see Mexico with you. Good luck girl. Three months will be over before you know it.
I can't believe that you are in Mexico already. It seems as if you only left a few short months ago, yet so much has changed.
Keep trusting in the Lord. Good Luck in Mexico. You'll have great stories to tell for a long time. :D
12 weeks right? I'm so proud of you. I say that, not intending to sound condescending at all, but very impressed. Two kids, one sick, concrete and dirt everywhere! Our sewers stunk in Bulgaria too...tip that worked for me. In the grocery store I'm betting you can find toilet freshners. I never needed one here, but our bathroom smelled like old cabbage! If you can find ones that disperse liquid, it'll keep the smell at bay a bit. I got your letter and will take care of it on the 1st. God bless and take a lot of pictures.
Oh girl. Just keep looking out that window. And remember that when life closes a door, God always opens a window (or however that saying goes). Wishing you best of luck with your situation.
OH wee Carla, It was such extremes with your writing. YOu do have wonderful beautiful children and you are very blessed. I am sorry though that you have to live in such stench. It all happened so fast in the other places I am sure it will be the same for Mexico. Before you know it you will be back to "normal" at least the normal we know as the good old USA!!! Hang in there this too shall pass!!! I love the view and you have a little park so close to you. That is good.
Carla- you are one amazing woman. I have a couple friends who would have just let their husband go by himself down to Mexico but you are a trooper.
Nice view from your window. At least they have playgrounds in Mexico :)
Tell Chad we said hi
Post a Comment