Friday, October 24, 2008

Are We There Yet?!

We're not in Mexico yet, but I've had lots of time to blog in my head and have lots of mile long posts in the works. It's been a whirlwind week. Last Thursday, we hit the road for Colorado. That night we stayed in a dumpy Day's Inn. Then next morning, we quickly packed up and got Chad to his interview. The kids and I spent the day wondering Denver in search for a new hotel (on the other side of town) possible apartments and apartment guides, and a park. I still haven't prayed about living there and am uncertain that's what I want for sure. But in the meantime we're going forward in faith. That day was pretty darn crappy because we had no place to nap or play and the kids were sick of the car. Chad got done around 2-ish and is optimistic about the possibility of working there.
Friday was MUCH better. We hit the free day at the zoo. It was crazy busy but we had fun. It's a really good zoo. Much less hilly and spars than the one in Omaha, so it wasn't such a work out. By late lunch, we had seen everything we wanted to.  And went back to the hotel for a nap.The elephants were fun.  They did a demonstration of some of their talents.  They're pretty cool.  The zoo keeper said they're pretty emotional, laughing, crying, mourning their dead.  Neat.



This guy was a pansy.  He wanted to get in the water but wouldn't.  Finally another one came up behind him and poked him in the back pushing him in.
The penguins were fun.  We went down below and got to see them swim back and forth diving and splashing everyone.
This mandrill got pretty aggressive.  He charged the window and one of the zoo workers who was standing by telling about the animals said, "don't show your teeth!  He'll take it as a sign of aggression and start banging on the glass.  It made me realize oh yeah, these guys are real animals that don't belong behind glass.  He seemed curious about the cameras and didn't like them.






That night we went to dinner at Casa Bonita. It looked like a pink cathedral in the middle of a dumpy shopping center.  It was amazing fun!! I have never and probably will never eat at another place like this!  You stand in line like you're waiting for a roller coaster ride. Finally, they hand you the plate and drink you ordered and a server takes you on a mile long trek to your table. The place is shaped like a semi-circle and in the center of all 3 stories runs a waterfall and pool made from volcanic rock.  Near the top, there's a platform where they have little skits.  Picture an old theater transformed into this whole other world - picure the island of Monte Cristo off the coast of Spain (it was a very yummy Mexican restaraunt.) Anyway, the one skit we saw was a silly little gun fight. Most of the time though, they had cliff divers "performing." We decided this was the Perfect job for Chad and his best friend Dan. They just climb to the top-ish, maybe swing on the rope a bit and do some fancy free-fall. All the while playing it up for the crowd and most especially the ladies. They splash and high-five admiring little ones and just have fun. At one point there was a girl on the platform dramatizing it all, saying things like "and now he'll climb to the top of 3 stories of volcanic rock and plunge x number of feet in a death defying swan dive into an x number of feet deep pool. Don't try this at home kids!" When in reality, I've done it.  Maybe not as pretty or dramatic, but still. It was fun though, and definitely the perfect job for Chad and Dan.  Also for our viewing pleasure, at various places around, there was a caracaturist, a mariache band, two arcades, and a little haunted house area, a woman walking around selling glow in the dark toys like at Stone Mt. oh and several areas with little walmart rides that the kids loved, and an alcove with a treasure chest and candy in it. I don't know how late we were up, but we all had a blast!


This is where we sat for dinner on the top level.  There were seats that got splashed and even ones behind the waterfall!


He spit flames while the other guy dove.  Then he juggled, and dove in with the torches.  It was really hard to get any good pics since it was dark.





How cool is this kid, chillin' in the batmobile making vroom sounds?!





Sunday we traveled back to Omaha. Monday and Tuesday, we spent packing. Monday night a couple from the ward, who's son I had in nursery and loved, had us over for dinner. They were very nice to do that for us, and Chloe loved playing with their daughter.  The dinner was a yummy zuccini lasagna that Everett devoured.  Seriously, he ate about as much as me!  And I can pack away the food sometimes.  The next night, Chad's boss had us over for dinner.  They're a great couple that have pretty much raised all of their kids and are now adopting everyone else's. I don't know how many biological children they have. The youngest is a sophomore in high school and they have 3 little Chinese girls, a 7ish month old grand-daughter, and they're adopting a baby boy: home-schooled, well behaved, devout Catholics, whose hearts and doors are always open.  I was impressed with them because this is very much the kind of household Chad and I plan to have.   I mean, by comparison, I felt like one of those people that are like "this is our first and LAST child!" which always makes me sad to hear.  But anyway, it was a very nice evening, and a late night of packing.

Wednesday, after a half-day of work while I packed the van, we hit the road.  It rained all day and we accidently left the portable DVD player behind.   We were clearly in for a rough day, but it actually wasn't so bad.  We saw the St. Louis arch again, but of course it was raining and we couldn't get to the camera, so again we didn't stop.  That night we stayed in a brand new Motel 6, what a treat! Seriously, it was very clean, with a big-ish layout. The kids were WONDERFUL for our trip yesterday.  And I have been so immensely excited because each state change got us one step closer to a non-nomadic lifestyle.  It's an adventurous sprint to the finish line, but at least it's in sight.  Chloe just read books quietly all day.   She was excited to see Papa and Gigi and puppies. I fear she'll be very sad to leave tomorrow.  In Omaha, she expressed fear of having to make new friends again.  Everett seems to be a home body.   He doesn't like car trips but last night seemed to have accepted his fate.  And he's warming up to grandma and puppies a lot faster this time. It helps that he's not sick this time. One day soon I'll update on the kids, lots to say.  Oh, we stopped for gas in Metropolis, Illinois.  Their claim to fame is that Superman is from there.  There's a giant statue and the gas station had superman everywhere.  The bathroom signs were for "superman and superwoman" with pictures of them.  Between the rain and camera, we didn't go see the big statue or get any pictures.  I was a little bummed about that.  Anyway we made it to my in-laws, raining the WHOLE two days (and still raining) and we're SO grateful to be here!  It's nice not to cringe when my kids touch the bedspreads, phone, or floor.  You would not believe how excited we were last night to sleep in a room BY OURSELVES.   Today we have the treat of unpacking, washing, re-packing and preparing for our flight in the morning.   It looks like we'll be staying in the 4 bedroom, 2 bath house with the two other students.  I'm nervous, but the stress and fear are pretty much gone.  Mostly, I'm excited. We'll see how it goes. Certainly, I'll post later.

3 comments:

Leighanna said...

I ate at Casa Bonita last December when I went out to Denver for my cousin's wedding. It is serious in the middle of the crappiest neighborhood, but what a fun restaurant! Looks like you guys are keeping real busy! We miss you!

Jodie said...

Goodness, Carla. You guys are such troopers! For your sake I can't wait until your nomadic days are over!

Chloe's hair is getting so long and Everett seems to be a little chunk these days. And I love that picture of him in the batmobile! SO CUTE!!

Dana said...

I really am suprised that you have wanted to trek around with Chad this whole time. I probably would have decided to stay with mom and dad for the three months in Mexico but you guys seem to be learning so much as far as travel. YOu sounded so cool and calm I would have been freaking out just in Denver trying to find a new place to stay. How crazy is that. I can't wait to hear all of your adventures in Mexico. Students?? Is that going to be werid or what?