So, yesterday, we got our passports and I began reading a huge packet of info that Chad got from school about the Mexico rotation. OH MY HECK. In 7mo. I'm going to MEXICO. Like, it's becoming quasi-real to me now. In 7 mo. I am going to board a plane with 1 child and a baby (who will be new to solid food and walking) and go to a country where I don't know the language or food, where we will all get at least a little poop sick, and I am going to live there for 3 months. You kidding me???!! What are we thinking?? It's lunacy! The packet said that it's rude to take off your shoes inside someone's house, plus there are scorpions to worry about. What? Oh, and public transit in M. City is reliable, but a prime spot for pick-pockets and groping, so when possible, take the car that's set aside for women and children or stand against the wall. I'm sure glad we won't be living in Mexico City. It suddenly occured to me as well that not only will I have the language issue, but also the cultural differences. Not only will I have my kids' safety to worry about, I'll have my own. And I'll have to figure out the money and how to go grocery shopping, and how to cook without using tap water. Oh, and they tip people for seemingly everything. Anyway, I'm not complaining or regretting, I'm just saying it's CRAZY. It was all I could do to wrap my head around "if I marry Chad, his career choice will take me out of my home state and away from my family 2 years from now." And it took me and the Lord every bit of the two years to prepare to do it. I thrive on stability and predictability. I never imagined I, of all people, would wind up living abroad at any point in my life. I have dreamt of it. I do love to travel and see new things. But I also love to come back home from travel. The town we'll live in sounds really quaint and touristy...I dunno. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to love it. I just have a lot of work ahead of me to research and learn some language.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lots to be excited and anxious about at the same time. Having travelled to Mexico many times when I was younger (my parents actually had a house there), I can tell you that the majority of the people are super nice and you will enjoy your time there. You will also definitley appreciate home and the U.S. more than ever. I'm excited for you!
Carla, You'll be just fine. I can relate to the anxiety though. However, you are a hot sexy white woman that the Mexican men just love! I'm not nearly as cute as you and I got hit on alot at one of my jobs where there were many Mexican construction workers! I just thought it would be fun to tease you a little!
Post a Comment