Monday, February 15, 2010

Doctor + Amazing Kids

Ok, I Facebooked the gist, but I have to record the story in my blog too. We went for Everett and Chloe's annual checkups today. They took us back. The kids played nicely with the NO toys (why do they do that?? That's where all of the wait time goes.) while I answered a gazillion questions and continued to fill out our name and address for the 20th time; ya know the drill.


Chloe got to show off writing her name, among other similar, fun games. She had to pee in a cup. She didn't want to but still did it, so I was proud of her. They did the basic look over. I think Chloe hates the violation of privacy. But she knows it needs to happen and why. Everett just gave Dr. a funny look like "what is wrong with you woman?" but was co-operative. Dr. is hard to understand (thick accent) but good with the kids. Then they did a little prick test. Everett did great because he used to be anemic and have it done all the time. Chloe tolerated it. Then shots... the second Chloe heard the word, she started to freak. She really went ballistic when it was happening (4 shots!) but I can't much blame her. Everett did great for the one shot. They got little airplanes and a lollipop.

More waiting for the hemoglobin results and sign out. We had lunch at Daddy's work and went over to get some blood drawn on Everett. AN HOUR LATER (during nap-time with again nothing to do besides that little airplane) I was shocked to find out they do it the same way for a little one: same chair, rubber band on the arm, all that, but with 3 adults to hold them. She poked his arm, dug a few times and couldn't find a vein. Poked his hand, (I've never had it drawn in my hand, but I'm guessing it's even less pleasant) drew 3 vials of blood. Then Everett said, "because it didn't hurt mama." WHAT?? I mean she was moving that needle around trying to get the blood to flow... I don't even think I usually handle it as well as he did!

Days like today make me fall madly in love with my kids. They really were amazing all day with ALL the waiting and poking. Both of them.

For dinner, they got to have hotdogs. We put a blanket out on our bare dining room floor and had a winter pick-nick. And we gave them the V-day cards we made (late, oops.) It was lovely!
Later this evening, Chad was playing on the computer with the kids. I was reading in the bedroom b/c it was loud. When Everett was done, he came back just to check on me and tell me he loves me. He is really sweet, but I think that might be the first time he's said it without me saying it first. That made me feel even more special. Chloe's been very sweet and helpful toward us and Everett. She'll pick up Everett's toy, share her napkin, make her lunch... she's so sweet... so refreshing because I've been frustrated with her lately. She's great, I just cannot keep her occupied. And she can't/won't find stuff to do. I've been especially impatient lately too... I needed to fall back in love with my kids, so a day like today is especially welcome. They really are wonderful kids most days! I've gotta remember to start taking a step back and realizing that.

4 comments:

Leighanna said...

Wow... Everett is a stud. I don't like get my blood drawn, and I poke myself with needles every day!!! :o) I love when the munchkins pleasantly surprise! Auntie Leighanna gives them both a big smile and thumbs up!

Dana said...

Your kids are really good and I tell you that all the time. They are so sweet and kind and you really don't realize it because the couple of times when you are moving or things are changing for them they are more"normal" than any other time. Just remember change is hard on little ones. They really are wonderful kids and you are soooo lucky to have them. Why were they drawing so much blood on Everett??

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Oh they are great kids - you should be thankful. Give them both big kisses and hugs for me - I miss them very much. Mutta

Lisa Brown said...

I completely understand the need to "fall back in love" with you kids. Those moments are the ones that help the hard ones disapear :).