Well, we are moved and plugged back in to the world. What a whirlwind! Within 10 days we had six different beds. Poor Everett was so afraid each time we packed up the car that he would some how get left behind. Here are some fun pictures from just before leaving Mexico.
at the arcade in the mall
playing in one of her favorite spots - just outside the gate to our "compound"
E's kissy face - goofy kid.
She's not choking him I promise. We had so much fun with that puppy on Sunday just before we left!
This is just outside our house. He is quite the little character! He hams it up for the camera now.
So we flew home. Gratefully, it was fairly uneventful. We got to spend that week with the grandparents and had a lovely time. Chad came back to the midwest Saturday before us so he could get ready to start work on Monday. I hung out with my mom and dad until Monday. My Dad and I worked on building these book end bases for the Ketzal Koat (not sure about the spelling) statues we bought in Mx City. This is the more complete of the two, but it's still not done.
Then Mom and I went to a King Tut exhibit. Even though the kids were terrible and I was consequently a mess, it was really neat and I enjoyed being with her. It made me really want to go to Egypt... one day : )
Monday night, I spent with my sister. Then I got here Tuesday night. I regretted not being able to spend more time with my family, but the apt. complex wouldn't sign the lease without both of us here. So Tuesday morning, I left in the rain, quickly drove into the freezing rain and passed lots of cars snowed into the ditch. It all added an extra 2 hours to our drive, but I just kept thanking Heavenly Father that I still hadn't become one of them. Pretty much all of the roads were iced over coming through town. All things considered, the kids were great! I think only ours, with so much practice, could've done so well on that trip. That night we stayed with friends. The next morning was declared a snow emergency and no one was at the office to sign our lease. It all worked out though. It snowed enough to get Chad out of work, and someone showed up to sign our lease. We moved in with no more problems. We ended up getting a 3 bedroom but are not disappointed in the slightest. We love the place we got and love having the kids in separate rooms once again. Chloe can play during nap time and Everett sleeps in every morning now. We've got our things settled. We even had a brother in the ward do some electrical work for us so we can use our dryer. Though when Chad and the guys from the ward went to get some furniture out of storage, they got snowed in... we would have to pick that week to move in! But it's fine, we're only missing our couch and bed. And even at that, we're making do.
Oh, and did I mention it's COLD?! I miss the sunshine on our roof in Mexico! It feels like certainly the weather could never turn warm, but then I remind myself that we're on the downward slope and surely spring will arrive in no time. Oh and it is SO nice to have a house and a washer and dryer to OURSELVES again!! We're not taking up anyone else's space and don't have to worry about leaving a mess behind the kids breaking things or letting laundry sit or how much it's costing per load. (This is not just in reference to Mexico but also the time spent with family - not complaining or implying in any way that we had a bad time, those are just luxuries that I'd taken for granted before. I mean, who knew they were luxuries?!)
It's taking a little more adjusting than I'd expected or hoped. At times it seems like nothing has changed, but most times, it seems like everything has changed. The dynamic with my friends is all very different - I knew that before getting here but didn't expect it. But still, re-adjusting is moving along much quicker than it has on the other rotations, which is what I'd really hoped for. The kids went through a little bout of disobedience and insecurity, but mostly they're glad to have their toys and friends back. Chloe and Everett have been playing together a lot; usually they play well together, but they've also been fighting a lot. I'm guessing those two things kind of go hand in hand when you have more than one child. In the way that a first time mom doesn't know how to handle all the crying, I don't know how to handle all the fighting.
It was so wonderful being back in our ward! I could understand the testimonies being born and felt the spirit very strongly. Apparently Chloe did pretty well for her first day of Primary. I can't believe I have a Sunbeam now!! She does seem so old most days, yet in primary, she's a baby - my baby! Monday, we had a WONDERFUL day in which she was a huge helper. I thoroughly enjoyed her company and feel like more of those days are in store for us especially as she gets more comfortable here and less defensive over her toys. She is a very good girl, and I love her very much.
Everett is a full-fledged toddler. He pretends does everything that Chloe does. He runs after her and can keep up for the most part. Lately he's into shoes. He brings them to me all the time asking me to put them on. He lines each of them up and must have socks or something on his feet at all times. The other day the TV was just on, so he sat in his rocking chair, pointed to the dog on the screen and "wolf"ed at it. He loves to read too and brings me books often. But best of all, he loves stuffed animals. At Gigi's house, he had a blue care bear that he really liked. So we brought it home and he hugs and squeezes that thing all day long. He puts it in the toy stroller and pushes it around and around the circle in our house. Again, he is quite a fire cracker. When he gets frustrated, watch out! We're trying to teach him some more words so he'll have alternatives for fussing at those times.
So things are really good. We've already fallen into a great schedule, I just need to stick in exercise and plans to get out. I have a couple of activity ideas for these frosty weeks; I just have to brave the cold more willingly, *cringe*.
4 comments:
I don't blame you about the cold girl. We are cold down here and can't wait for spring. I am so glad that I live in a warmer state now. I am glad that things are finally falling into place so quickly. Chloe's dress is just adorable and as far as the kids fighting goes its totally to be expected. Everett is getting older and as a consequence more into Chloe's space. That is the wonderful thing about families. YOu would never learn to function on a more normal basis without those things. I am glad to see pictures again. Did you get your camera?
I'm so glad you're mostly moved in and feeling at least a little settled. Those pictures are great--and I hardly recognize Everett...such a big boy! He'll be in nursery before too long, won't he? That's insane. :)
Miss you!
Glad you are moved in now.
Carla - I also want to tell you that I am SO... PLEASED that you wanted to go see the King Tut exhibit - I knew and I believe you knew also that it was not for little kids but you wanted to go bad enough that you dealt with it. I am a lover of history and to see my children grow up and enjoy learning about history pleases me a great deal - maybe dragging my kids to museums on vacations paid off because SOMETHING sunk in - I think - proof that kids DO absorb more than we think. I love You and MISS YOU too.
Post a Comment