Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's Up

The end of last week brought warmer weather.  I watched with excitement as the snow melted, causing a constant stream running down our street.  Now it has brought rain, perpetuating the stream.  It seems spring may be upon us.  While I miss the sun, I'm enjoying not having to risk frostbite with each exit of the house.  It's one glorious step closer to Spring - I hope.

So far it's been a busy week!  I miss the slower pace of MX, but I'm glad to be busy again.  Somehow I'm happier with a "to do" list.  Sunday we were assigned talks - of course - and given carte blanche.  And I was asked to sub in nursery next week and a calling is on the horizon.  At least that's what I assume when the bishop asks to meet with me, not sure when yet.  Monday, I went walking with one of the only two sisters left in the "stroller brigade" that I helped to found.  I hadn't met her before, but it was nice.  Then we ran errands.  Yesterday was crazy!  I cleaned house like a maniac and spent the second half of my day cooking.  We had our 3 sister missionaries over for dinner.  It was a great dinner.  We had my first ever salad.  I don't know why but I'm suddenly determined to give up my very anti-veggie ways (I was especially anti-salad).  I've tried to bring them into my meals more in the past.  I'm terrible at cooking them, but I've started varying what I serve and we have a new rule.  The kids have to eat just a little before they get milk or dinner or anything else they could potentially fill up on.  It was a great salad.  The ladies around me have made me realize there's more to salad than iceburg "grass," carrots, and ranch.  The salad I made tonight was even better: spinach, feta, parmesan, almonds, dried cranberries... it was AWESOME!  The first one I've really enjoyed.  Let me tell you, leaps and bounds from where I was.  But anyway, it was great to have the missionaries in our home.  The spirit they bring is always great.  And the sisters have such a different spirit than the elders.  It was nice.

As for the kids:  they've been great.  I really really enjoy them for the most part.  They're great kids.  We only had one evening of struggle on the veggie rule, and that was from Everett. 
I wish I could accurately describe the joy that they are in my life.  
Everett is at an especially fun age.  He's a fire ball, but I feel like I'm learning how to deal with him.  In lots of ways he's way more difficult than Chloe was, but he makes up for it in so many other ways.  He's learning to communicate really well and follows instruction much better these days.  He's my little rolly polly; when he gets tickled, he curls up like a bug.  Plus he's just so round and fun to tickle and kiss.  I gave him a hair cut Monday.  He did great!  And he looks so handsome!  He gives kisses and hugs any time I want them!  The other night, I was snuggling and singing to him at bedtime when he started rubbing my arm.  And he pats my back sometimes when we hug.  How sweet is that!  He dances about as well as most of the boys at the youth dances, with his foot firmly in the bucket : )  He imitates everything.  He's still quite the banshee, so I tell him to "ssshhhhhh" all the time.  So he giggles, puts his finger to the tip of his nose and says "sssssssssshhh" and drools a little.  It kills me!  I think his shoe fetish is even stronger now.  He has finally learned to sit still and fold his hands for prayer time without a fight.  He smiles an infectious ear to ear grin when we say amen and he pulls his hands apart like "tah dah!!"  It's great.

He's been especially banshee-like lately.  He woke up with another crusty ear.  So I took him to the Dr. but it was just wax.  I gave him some decongestant and he's been better.  I just hope it sticks for a little while this time.
Chloe is also quite a joy.  She seems much more secure and happy these days.  She and I have had some quite grown up conversations lately because she's given up (for the most part) acting like a baby to get attention.  It makes me so happy that she's doing so much better so quickly.  We've also started having her clean up her toys before bed, and she's been pretty good about that.  She's a good helper and I love her very much.  It helps that after some crazy busy days, today we were able to take a rain day and just chill, read books and hang out with each other.

5 comments:

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Glad things are going well. YOu will be proud of me...I am excercizing daily. FUN FUN FUN> And salads are the bomb! You can do anything and make it into a salad. Glad you are branching out.

Leighanna said...

Glad to see things getting a little back to normal for you! Sounds like William and Everett have a lot of personality in common. William makes me crazy sometimes, but makes up for it in so many other ways!!!

Dana said...

YOu do have such sweet kids and I think sometimes you haven't realized it. Its easy to do when you are with the 24/7. I am glad things are getting back to a normal pace in life. I had a friend who always had 2 salads at dinner. One fruit and one veggie and if all else failed with dinner her kids would eat the salads so.. She had some bom salads. I have her food blog on my blog you should check it out. Jannen's food. Love ya

Unknown said...

It was a great salad. So good, there were no leftovers.

Bond Bedlam said...

Carla - I am glad you took a day to just chill and read books and be together - Please remember that these years pass by VERY quickly - and they'll off to school. - I don't remember anything about cleaning, washing, those mundane things in life - but I hold very fond memories of reading to my kids piled up in the bed before nap time or going to the park. Enjoy these days they fly by!