We're still in GTO, but it's been a while since I've updated on the kids. Their behavior has been... well, noteworthy. I keep getting asked how the kids are handling all of the transitions. Each rotation has brought with it a new phase of rebellion from Chloe. This past week brought another bout as we approach the next phase of 4th year Optometry school (the home stretch - WAHOO!). Since I've had so much practice, this time I've really tried to be prayerful and sensitive to what she might be feeling. That has provided me with a bit more patience (just a bit ; ) and understanding. She hoards things as we start to pack. Her security, love and joy are tied to her things. She packs things in all kinds of bags and boxes and hides them or carries them with her everywhere - to keep an eye on them. She freaks out when Everett gets into them. Twice now we've had to pack things away in a storage unit. So I'm sure that's why she's afraid to let go of her stuff. But as she and I have talked about her feelings and what's going to happen, things have drastically improved. The past couple of days have been better! She and Everett have been playing together happily for hour long, or longer, intervals. I've been so anxious for that day and it seems that Everett is finally big enough. Nap-time has been rough because she just wants to stay up and play, only now, she keeps waking up Everett to play with him. That's frustrating, but I'm glad she loves playing with him so much. She's been nicer to us and very loving toward him, which of course melts my heart. And of course he's thrilled to finally be able to run after her and play with "the big kid."
Everett: it's hard to believe that when we started this journey, he was a baby, 7 months old. I can't even remember if he was crawling. He and Chloe tried to share a room, but it did not go well. Now, they sleep together every night with rarely many problems. He's a running, laughing, destroying, flirty, feisty little fire cracker. I don't know how to effectively discipline him because he's just so silly and feisty. He's still pretty affectionate though. He's been weaned from the pacifier completely and as I'd hoped, the first night was the hardest. It was fairly easy from there. In fact, yesterday, Chloe found one and gave it to him. He put it in his mouth, took it out, made a funny face, and put it back in like it has always belonged there. Then I asked for it, and he walked right over, gave it to me, and forgot about it. As long as he gets his milk, dinner on time, and his bed, he doesn't really care what else is going on in his life.
Friday was Chad's last day of work, and one of our room mates left right after work. The other left yesterday. As she was taking out her luggage, he was oddly intrigued, or concerned. After one load, she left the door ajar. Everett walked over, opened the door and watched her come back. When she did, he asked her to pick him up. It was really cute. He's been really flirty toward her the whole time we've been here. When she was gone, he was uncharacteristically quiet.
So we've got the whole house to ourselves and the kids have loved playing in the other two bedrooms. It's been nice not having to worry about weather or not what we do will be OK with them. Again, they were the best room mates we could ask for, but it's nice to have our own space back, like I can leave dirty dishes in the sink without worrying about some one else being able to get what they need (though it did get me into the good habit of doing them often.)
We're half packed and it looks like we'll have one less suit case to pay for. We've got a couple of leads on what look like good places to stay in our old ward boundaries, and we're SOOOOO looking forward to seeing grandparents, puppies, cousins and my sister. Well, wish us luck as we travel!
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Kiddos
Posted by Carla at 2:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am so... looking forward to seeing ya'll I can't WAIT
I can't wait either. I can't wait to see how the kids interact with each other. And I need some girl time!!! FUN FUN FUN!!! YIPEE!!!!
Oh my... Everett sounds a lot like William in his behavior! No promises from me that discipline will become easier - because we certainly can't figure it out!!!! Little stinkers should hang out a wreak havoc together! Glad you are headed home!
Post a Comment