Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Goin' Home

As our Exodus approaches, I've been asked some questions that've had me thinking about my time here, what I'll miss, what I miss about home. I was asked, besides the language, what's been the hardest thing about being in MX. For me it's been being alone. We have no one and nothing to fill our time, but enough about that...

What I will miss most about Mexico is the people of course. People here are so nice and friendly: everyone says good morning, the doctors at work get cakes and things all the time just for doing their job; they love kids and dote over them all the time, they're affectionate: kissing cheeks upon meeting, PDAs everywhere that usually aren't obscene, etc. I'll miss the pace of life. No one's in a hurry here, so you rarely get rude, aggressive people. Cars stop all the time for each other and pedestrians. I'll miss our roof which offers a fairly clean and private place to hang out in the sun, do laundry, and bathe the kids (pretty much every place here has a nice big roof/balcony area.) I'll miss the shopping, being able to walk into town and find all kinds of neat, creative, hand-made treasures. And I'll definitely miss the warm winter and sun shine! I'll miss the age and character of every building here. I'll miss the convenience of having stores and restaurants just down the street and the fact that most places are owned and run by a family. I'll miss the Spanish; it's been nice to learn something new. I've also enjoyed all of the sight seeing and learning things that way - being able to drive a few hours and see something from BC. It's such a nice place to visit; I'll miss GTO, and I'm glad I came. And I'll be glad to get home.

Sunday, we met our ward's new missionary. He's from Charlotte, NC! How cool is that! We had a nice discussion about home, and he spoke with familiar slang. 5 days left!

1 comments:

Dana said...

YOu made it girl!! you are on the home stretch. Glad your able to see the good in it.