Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Bit o' Fun... For Me

To combat dull-ness and boredom, I've tried venturing out a bit. The other week, I went to pick up my brother from the Charlotte airport and decided to make a day of it. It was a terrible, horrible, very bad, no good day. My GPS does not work in that town, and I didn't plan well, bad combo. So last Friday, I tried again. I decided to take the kids to the city pool. I invited a friend to go along. That started with a woman picking a fight with me. She seriously wanted to hit me in the face. Apparently I'd taken her chair, so she was ready to throw down. And I wasn't ready to just let her walk all over me so... anyway. We ended up having some fun, but not without paying a price in my opinion. Plus, public pools are just gross. So I'm done. The poor kids can just stare at the ceiling until school starts back.

But I did a couple of fun little painting projects. I discovered a fun new store in town. The Christmas Tree Store, it's kind of like a Big Lots. There I bought a metal star for $4. It was a nice cape cod blue, but didn't work for me. So I painted and glazed it. I love it.

I'm really into beachy colors and decor as I'm trying to finish off our bedroom. I found a tutorial on making beach glass. We got some root beer at the beach last time and saved the bottles. You water down torquoise paint and bake it for a bit. At first I placed it in a pan of sand to bake some onto the bottle. I think it looks like I just picked it up out of the water. Second, I tried watering down the paint less... I'm not sure about either of them really. What do you think?
I also made a flag. It's for next summer. I found this tutorial pretty much July 6th. Fun huh? It's just some scrap 2x4 and a stick of 2x2 cut to size and painted. The kids enjoyed making the "puzzle."And look what hubby brought home. Isn't he sweet? They're so pretty! And it totally made my week! I love him.

2 comments:

Leighanna said...

I know it's said over and over, but we wish you lived closer. It would be so much more fun to have built-in friends around! I love seeing your projects... They are always so fun.

Anonymous said...

It made you weak or it made your week --- there is difference. P.s. I like the bottles especially because they're not the exact colors.