Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hyper Speed

I've got some good pictures for this post, I think, but no room left on the hard drive. So my blog will be picture free until we get an external hard drive... or until I burn a disk of old pics.


Anywho, life really sped up since Chloe started school. I expected to have gobs of time with one less child to deal with. But who knew a bike ride there and back, along with time to rest could eat up one's day? Creating a birthday to remember (since I let almost every other holiday slide) was hectic. And just when I thought life couldn't move faster, I added a puppy that I have to deal with. Now life is in hyper-speed. I hate that b/c I'm always stressed and terribly impatient with the kids when I'm rushed. And I fear I've added too many good things without leaving room for the most important things. Despite the inherent difficulties in being a nomad, I find myself longing for that life once again - no responsibilities with church and friends, no school, just me and my family. But even outside of... well normal life, I've been in a funk.

The puppy, Curly threw me for a major loop. She's a good dog, but I've never had a puppy and don't know anything about having one. I thought she was mostly house-broken, but that is not the case. Despite a brief overview from my MIL that I didn't really care to hear at the time, I was clueless as to how to start. Everything I tried only further frustrated me. So with each freak out, she got more and more reluctant to "go" in front of me. So she'd find a moment when my back was turned instead, inside of course. Oh, and by the way, they go like 20 times a day! Reading on the subject was discouraging, because apparently I wasn't doing anything right. But I did read a few things that made sense. That, coupled with fervent prayer, I got a couple of ideas. First thing the next morning, it worked!! She unloaded outside for a change!! I couldn't be more excited! I know, I know, I swore I'd never be one of those people that talked about their pet's potty habits. But lemme tell ya, this has been more traumatic of a week than potty training either child, mostly because I was SO unprepared for SO MANY accidents. And clearly, I get very frustrated very easily. (Everett's the same way, which frustrates me, hah!) Chloe's been very responsible for "her" puppy, but can only do so much as a 5 year old, in school. She tells me and Curly quite often how much she loves her. It's sweet.

Speaking of potty training, with the presence of Curly, Everett has suddenly reverted. I think b/c I've been so focused on her. Reverting is also frustrating for me b/c I don't understand it. But I do accept that it's normal and doesn't truly mean he's going back. So yeah, I've been up to my eye balls in pee and poop! And Chloe's been pretty sassy and disobedient too. I've let a lot of stuff slide b/c of everything else going on. I really need to get to work correcting the back talk. Desperate, and with Chad (my life-line!) out of town, I prayed SUPER hard the other night. And we ended up having a great day. Huge success with curly, then I spent some major QT with the kids. We went to Wal-mart so Chloe could spend her b-day money (we really should start teaching her about money...), two stops that were fun for me, and to the mall to use some b-day vouchers for the carousel, which also gave the kids a big balloon. I got a few things done outside, and we played with Curly in the sprinkler - a good day.

Then I turned around, in the garage, and the Sister missionaries were there. Chad had called them because he hadn't been able to get a hold of me all day... CRAP, MY PHONE! That's a constant battle for me and Chad. I'm such an airhead about it b/c I hate using it anyway, except to talk to him of course. I feel so badly for making him worry, especially while he's out of town. We did talk during dinner. And he reminded me about a friends' baptism I was supposed to take programs for... that day... before lunch. *sigh-hanging my head low* FAIL!! He'd received a call asking where I was, coupled with not being able to get a hold of me... man I suck!! My church responsibilities have been... well, completely dropped lately. And since Chad's my leader, he's one of the people that I'm letting down. Chloe said I should've written it on my hand, because that's what I do to help me remember stuff. It's really frustrating how horrible my memory is sometimes! I wanted to be at that baptism.

Right after hanging up the phone, Chloe told me that she had prayed too that I'd have some success with Curly. So sweet! Then she said, "and I felt it mama. I felt the Holy Spirit! I prayed and Heavenly Father answered my prayer!" Nothing warms my heart more than to know that my little girl is starting to learn about her relationship with her Father in Heaven. So perhaps I'm not a complete failure? I did forget partially because I was so focused on improving things with the kids after all. Here's hoping this week is better. I'm thinking it will be.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Carla, don't stress the little things. You are an amazing mother, your children are the evidence of that. Dogs come and go, friends come and go, family is forever. You are a wonderful person.

Dana said...

OH Carla!!!! I feel very scatter brained like you most of the time. Its hard because I am use to being such a hard worker well when you forget things it make me feel lazy, or at least appear that way. This WILL settle down and they will get better. Hang in there. You can't control everything you just have to roll with it sometimes!!!

Leighanna said...

I am one of those people who is always feeling like I am forgetting something - which is a feeling I hate. Usually, I'm not - but I found that having a big desk calendar to write my daily obligations on helped me tremendously! We also have a white board on our fridge for last minute notes or notes to each other (for when we are just missing each other in passing). Don't know if those things would help at all. When my days are visually organized, it really makes my day go smoother! Like Dana said though, just hang in there. Our lives are just a constant shift of ebb and flow...

Lisa Brown said...

I'm so sorry Carla. I think we all have phases in our life where things become completely overwhelming and we feel as if we can't get anything right. I go through that often. Especially times when Kevin is away. My mom always tells me that when I feel that way, to get on my knees and pray until I feel better - sometimes that takes quite a while :).