Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

A long time ago I had some cacti like these, but they got lost in our nomadic exploits. When I saw these condiment cups last year at Target's $1 spot, I got them, hoping to find some more cacti like these. Well, I finally did. Chad doesn't like them, but I think they're fun. And they remind me of our time out west.
So on to Labor Day weekend. We of course headed down to the beach house. We mostly chilled at the beach. Sunday, we went to the local children's museum. It was way cute! Of course there was a water table. This one has a replica of the most recognizable bridge in town.


I think everyone's favorite was the pirate themed boat room.
Chloe of course loved the treasure chest in the floor. It had a silver bowl in it!
Everett was very serious about steering that boat!
The bridge was cool. The floor was spring loaded so it moved with you. So creative! There were lots of fun buttons and a windshield wiper that worked.

Everett was so cute all dressed up. He also went into the jail and let me take some pics of him in shackles, but none of them were very good.
And of course there was a grocery store with a real cash register.
The next favorite room was the castle room. Chloe is being measured against a lance.
Chad just played with his toy.
Chloe loved dressing up.
And Everett loved jumping on the four-poster. He's nice and patient with the picture taking.
And they roasted some pigs on the spit.
The last room was the art room. They got to paint a train. Love the lighting here.
And they made ballerinas to go on the stage.
Afterwards we played in the fountain out front. Chloe loved it, she jumped right in and ran around. But Everett got water into his face on the way in. Then he couldn't see a way out without water in the face and just cried.
One night, Chad and I went out to finally see Avitar. When it came out it didn't appeal to us. But we heard how great it was and that we have to see it in the theater. So when we heard they were re-releasing it, we were there. What a letdown! Ok, there was a lot about it that was really cool and creative, but the plot and politics behind it just irritated me. Anyway...

Of course we had lots of beach fun. We played there every day. It was so nice to have Chad with us this time! He and Chloe are kindred spirits there. Everett and I like to just chill in the surf and lazily play there. He and Chloe like to "catch waves." She taught me how... She explained which waves were jumping waves, swimming, and surfing waves (body surfing that is, pretty much the same as swimming.) It was cute.
Earl worked out in our favor. The storm scared away most beach-goers while washing up some cool stuff. We had great weather and found some fun things. We found 3 sand dollars, which we almost never find there. Chloe loved holding them and learning about them. She was sad to throw them back. We found a live conch. It was such a beautiful pink and purple shell that I was sad to throw that one back.
The craziest was 3 live jellyfish. They were about 2-3 inches across, about the size of those big bouncy balls. It was so cool to see how it swims around.
And we went home dirty and tired. The kids sure do like their beach towels. Cute kiddos.
We had fun. Now we're back to real life and all the stress that entails. I'm so glad we were able to get away for a bit.

4 comments:

Dana said...

I can't believe you guys threw the shell and sand dollars back. What wonderful treasures that you rarely see. THat is one thing about a recent hurricane... wonderful treasures and lots of jellyfish.

Leighanna said...

Fun!!! What a great weekend!

Jodie said...

Wow! I'm amazed at how many fun things you've been doing lately! What great memories you're making.

Lisa Brown said...

How much fun! And Lily and Derek would LOVE that children's museum.