Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Broken

This first pic's from a few weeks ago, just 'cuz it's cute.
This poor kid can NOT catch a break! No pun intended. First the sporadic diarrhea and vomiting that lasted a month. Now this. I swear we live at the Dr. office lately. We've been hemorrhaging money in the form of co-pays.
So, the story: everyone was jumping on the trampoline. Everett was trying to stand up to get off when Daddy bounced him really hard. He fell back on his leg crooked. At first we weren't sure if he was just being grouchy, but soon realized he was really hurt. We kept an eye on him the next day, hoping it was just a sprain.

Right after Chad went to work yesterday (Monday), we packed a lunch and headed into the Dr. She said it seemed like a sprain but sent us in for x-rays to be sure. So we went over to get x-rays. I heard him make the radiologists laugh. When they came out, we got to peek at the images. They asked how it happened, gave me an empathetic look, and said the Dr. would call me. Then we went next door for his scheduled allergy appointment. While there I got a call saying we needed to go to the orthopaedist EARLY the next morning. What? Oh yeah, it's broken... oh ok. Oh, btw I'm supposed to have the images with me. I need to take those to the orthopaedist. Right... well we got good news at the allergist. He's allergic to nothing! Not even peanuts or milk anymore! Wahoo! After the allergist, I had to go back to the diagnostic place to get the x-rays. By the time we got there, we were absolutely giddy with excitement to be going home soon. While we waited for them to print, one of the techs chatted with the kids. It was hilarious. I told Everett to tell her who bounced him; he said "she did!" pointing to one of the men walking by (yeah, we've been trying to teach "him" vs. "her." It's not going well.) Then he said, "oh!" giggled and buried his face all embarrassed. So goofy! We got home close to 5:00... barely beat Chad home.
Chad feels awful about "breaking his son." So Chad and I couldn't find the break, but we read their report. It's right below his knee, a "non-displaced fracture" at the end of the tibia (the fat bone on the left.) The report also said to find out if it was accidental or not... great. I hope De-fax doesn't show up here soon; just one more thing to stress about! So this morning our appointment was a 7:45. (That's when we're usually getting breakfast.) I didn't account for school traffic (I passed 5 on the way there!) We didn't make it, but they still saw us and got his cast on. I asked them to show me the break. He's watched "CARS" every day since it happened. He can't do much. *Sigh* Poor kid. It's been a long week. And we're not even half done! We've got another big day tomorrow; hopefully no doctors or waiting rooms though though. And the crappy thing is (you know besides having a son with a broken leg,) it looks like he'll get his cast off just before we go to Disney. So we won't get to jump to the front of the lines. But I'm glad he's got a cast on. He's much happier since he doesn't screech with pain every time his leg moves. So that's good.

9 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

Oh I've so been there! The good thing about having a child break a bone early in parenthood is that you don't worry as much and are more willing to let them climb trees, bounce on trampolines, etc.... because really it's not the end of the world! Good luck and enjoy CARS every day!

Beth said...

Oh dear...how does the little guy get around? Can he walk w/ that big ole cast on?

Jodie said...

Oh, poor guy! And it's sad that it wasn't even from being all monkey-like and crazy...which truthfully is what I expect any day from Peter. Hope he heals quickly!

Tara Priddis said...

Oh man poor little guy.....The cast looks bigger than he is.

Leighanna said...

Poor Everett! His luck just stinks!!! Anyways, I hope he gets better soon...

The Longnecker Zoo said...

That poor child! Gabe did the same thing when he fell off the back of the couch. But it was 2 weeks before we went to Disney so we totally scored on that one. Besides my son being in pain, of course. Good luck with the itching!!!

Lisa Brown said...

How sad!!! Poor Everett! My sister's son broke his leg when he was 2 also, and he would just drag himself around the house with his arms. It was so sad.

Dana said...

Holy cow that poor guy. I can't believe he broke it on the trampoline. As many years of us having a trampoline and noone has seriously gotten hurt. The odds of that with 7 kids wow???? I am knocking on wood as I write. Give him our love. And I haven't forgotten about the kids clothes that I promised Chloe. I have been so busy and hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get going on theirs. I just don't want Chloe to think I forgot about her.

The McCullough Crew said...

Poor baby! I hope he gets better quick. We are always on the trampoline and your story totally makes me nervous.