Monday, November 23, 2009

Back and Better!

We're plugged back in and things are starting to get better now.


Shingles: I didn't know anything about it until I got it. It's a form of chicken pox that attacks the nerves. It gives feelings of numbness, itching of course, various kinds of pain... it's scabby and gross, I'll spare you any pictures. And since it's a virus that makes your nerves "think" they itch, no anti-itch creams help. I wanted to scream it itched so bad. Clothes hurt, and the worst of it is under my waste band. Apparently it's brought on by stress... the tiny little nothing of a cold that the kids gave me seems to be what set me over the edge. Since Chad wasn't yet in the system, he called a co-worker who prescribed me an anti-viral horse pill. I take it 5 times a day and each day it has improved. By day two, I could actually think about something other than the itch and pain. Now it's barely more than a big wound. So that's a little miracle. BTW in this state, Chad can prescribe anything. How cool is that?! I'm certain it'll come in handy many more times and be a blessing for many years to come.

The day I wrote last, I waited at the DMV and never even spoke to anyone before I had to go pick up the kids. But we closed on the house that evening. I hadn't realized how much that alone was weighing on me. When we walked out of the office, I felt like a weight had been lifted. We went out to dinner to celebrate. The next morning, I took the kids back to the DMV. I got a number and waited outside where I could still see the number board. So the kids were able to play until time to take the test. I was also armed with the laptop and a video for during testing. I took it, didn't miss one question, and have my license... the paper one. So I went straight from there to get a tag for the car that's being driven every day illegally. By law, I have to wait the "7-10 days" until I get the plastic license in the mail. What crap is that?! Government crap... oh well, it's only a minor irritant.

Our colds are all gone. And we have insurance now. So Chad's going to the Dr. again tomorrow for a bad neck pain that has plagued him for 3 months.

The kids' behavior is still fairly bad, but two days in time out and Daddy being home for the weekend seems to have helped. I know the poor guys have been through a lot. They're reacting and taking advantage of our stress. And they're not getting spoiled any more by grandmas. It still doesn't make it OK, or any less frustrating. But we're working on it.

We went to church yesterday, and it was wonderful. I felt very edified. A big perk of being in a military town is that the women at church have had to learn to go outside their bubble and make friends. So everyone was really friendly. The kids went to class no problems. Chloe was going to cry, but her teacher was really sweet and gave her a purple sticker, making it all better. They both seem to have really good teachers and lots of fun.

At home, we've been gradually cleaning, finding things and creating order. Kitchen things and furniture is starting to settle into it's new home as we find the best places for things. And I am LOVING being able to do things my way. If I don't like the blinds, down they go (as money allows of course.) No more obligation to anyone else. No passive aggressive attempts to cajole me into compliance with someone else's opinion. There's nothing passive about Chad. ;) J/k honey. For the most part he gets that it's my house and I'm the one that has to deal with it all day. Why is it though that everyone thinks their way is the best way? We're all guilty of it. But we all have different habits, likes, and dislikes. So what works for one person doesn't work for another. I think that's why unsolicited parental advice is so abundant - I usually ask for it though. Anyway, that's irrelevant. Let's just say I'm loving homeownership. I love learning how to do, fix, and beautify things. I love having my things back, especially MY BED! I've actually slept through the night a few times recently. Saturday, Chad worked in the garage finding homes for everything. The previous owners left lots of great storage racks and shelves. It's rapidly turning into a nice little man cave. And it's really well insulated. So aside from our lack of skill, playing pool isn't problematic. Last night we put the kids to bed and went out to play. It was like having an honest to goodness date! It was awesome! Nostalgic too. We hadn't played since before we were dating. I love having a garage! I didn't grow up with one. They are so useful! The van leaks, but that's not a problem anymore. I LOVE having a play room too! I love my house.

So life is better, much better. Thank you for your sweet comments and prayers.

1 comments:

The Longnecker Zoo said...

WE WANT PICTURES!!!! It is liberating when it is completely YOURS!!!! It's wonderful. Sorry you suffered so bad with those shingles. My mother-in-law got them while going through chemo...not a fun thing at all. Sorry!