OK ladies. Here are the pictures. This is the table I grew up with. My great great granddad made this table. My Granddad said he thought his mom had the formica put on it. Of course it wasn't pealing off like this when I was growing up rather by the time it came into my possession two Christmases ago. I ripped all of that off...


... to find the table had been pieced together. My hope was just to belt sand the heck out of it and have a really rustic top. But... no luck since it was in these weird pieces. Don't know why it's like that.

So I had to sit on it, save up and research ways to resurface it. Oh and the base had molded in my dad's storage unit. I cleaned that up, sanded, and painted the base. Then I settled on a way to re-surface it. I eventually found a place to buy veneer and learned how to use contact cement.

It took a lot of elbow grease and wasn't without challenges. I had to sit on it every now and then to mull over how to fix it. But the biggest problem was the stain. It just wouldn't take evenly. It was also not really the color I wanted to start with... but I worked it out and now have a table to be proud of. I put a couple of clear coats to protect the whole thing and moved it inside.


I did some heavy distressing b/c it is an antique, why not go with the imperfections?

Who knows how well it will hold up, but I learned a new skill and have a new table where I can enjoy making more family memories at.
4 comments:
Where did you find your veneer? We have a night stand that we kind of ruined at my folks house - which we tried to refinish, but we couldn't match the original stain. We thought about veneer, but couldn't figure out where you purchase it?
I searched online and called every lumber yard in town. I finally found a one in raleigh. i remember that poor nightstand :(
HOLY COW!!! If anyone could revive that thing Carla, it would be you. Amazing and good job as always. Love you
Love it! Can I have it back now?
Post a Comment