Wednesday, October 27, 2010

TOFW

So last weekend, I drove down to ATL to attend "Time Out for Women" with my mom. It's like a weekend retreat/devotional. We rented a hotel and everything and had a great time together. It was a swanky Marriott right across the street from the convention center. So here are some pics of us just being silly in our room.


We got the perfect room too! It was on the bottom floor, first one down the hall. We had great access to the amazing breakfast bar. That was good because the lobby was packed that morning!
I just loved this chandeleir in the lobby, so simple but so pretty. It made me wonder if I could make something like that for Chloe's room one day... ooh, or my dining room... ... anyway...The theme was "Infinite Hope." Friday was good. We had a few speakers all of whom I enjoyed, one of whom was not even Mormon.


Saturday was wonderful. Hilary Weeks was the musical performer. I really enjoyed her.
This woman IS A-MAZING. Her name is Mariama Kallon; she's from Africa. She grew up in a war zone. "Rebels" fought for control of a diamond mine in the area. So she was a vagrant, trying to avoid danger but ended up seeing all of her family brutally killed. She later met a mormon family who started teaching her the gospel. She received a humanitarian aid kit which she shared with those around her. She found the faith she needed to let go of her anger. She ended up serving a mission in Utah. When she got on the plane, that kit and two changes of clothes was all she had. She now goes to college and still won't wear shoes. Her story really is amazing! And her faith in the gospel is so... simple, pure and strong. And she's just a pleasure to be around.
All of the speakers were amazing really. I have lots of notes. Allison, I bought that book you mentioned, "The Children you Want with the Kids you Have." It was all so inspiring and uplifting. It was so wonderful! It was wonderful to spend some qt with my mom. I even got to see my dad briefly, which is always a pleasure. I just can't say enough how wonderful of a weekend it was.

I came home to Chad with a sprained leg. He sprained it playing w/ the kids on the trampoline. Poor guy.

3 comments:

The Longnecker Zoo said...

I just knew you would love it!!!!! I am so glad you were able to have that experience. March 11-12 will be in Nashville for the new year of TOFW. Wanna come?!?!?! Love you and good luck with the book. It has given me great ideas but still haven't completed it yet. I am still about 1/3 left.
Love you

Dana said...

I am sooo glad you guys looved TOFW!!!! I have almost permenately puffy eyes from all the crying I did. It was really the first time I felt spiritually alive after almost loosing my life. It really was wonderful for me and I am glad yall had fun!!!

Lisa Brown said...

Oh, I am so jealous! That sounds so awesome!