Monday, October 25, 2010

Field Trip

Chloe's class has been learning about community occupations. So they took a field trip to the local police station and fire station. We had a lot of fun. I forgot my camera though, so these are taken with my phone. Not bad! I just had to buy and wait for a memory card to show up so I could get them onto the computer.


Anyway, they got to meet the police chief, learn about bike safety and gun safety. Only days before I talked to Chad about how/when to teach the kids about gun safety. We've had a lot of break-ins in the area, so Chad put the gun in a more prominent place. So it's been on my mind. They both came away going, "don't EVER EVER touch guns!" So I was glad for that. They got to slide through the back seat where the criminals sit. That grossed me out a little, even though it's hard plastic, and I'm sure they clean it...Anyway, after that, they each got to sit in the driver seat and blow the siren. That was great, deafening fun! :) They loved it.
You can barely see Chloe, but she's blowing the siren.

They got to go into this command center van to watch a video about gun safety.
I grew up in a VERY small town, mostly pastures and farm land. My graduating class was in the 700's. My dad was chief of the volunteer fire department there. So I grew up playing on fire trucks at the garage and rolling coins from their fire boot fund raisers. Lets just say, I found our town to be impressively outfitted. There are beds, 3 shifts, a kitchen, and the gear is more high tech. The air tank has an alarm on it that goes off if the fireman stops moving. He said that's all you could hear for days after 9-11. The kids were bored stiff b/c they didn't know half of the words he used. But I found it fascinating. They also told us how much it costs to outfit each fireman... I wanna say it was like $6000. Don't quote me on that, but it was an INSANE amount.
Afterwards, we toured the station. There was no classic pole, but some impressive murals you can see from the street.
Then they had one of them go up on the ladder.
Fun times.
I thought this dog was too cute! It even has old fire hose as ears.
After all of that, they played on the playground, and we had a pick nick. I had a lot to do to get ready to leave for the weekend, but we all had a lot of fun being together for the day. I was very glad that I made the time, also very glad that my phone has a camera now : )

2 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

How fun that you got to take Everett along too. Most times they make you leave the little one at home, which is a bummer.

Carla said...

bummer! no way, i take Everett along every time i visit her class or anything. her teacher's awesome about it and really encourages our involvement.