Sunday, May 16, 2010

I love Decorating.

I started this project about two months ago or so. Usually, I don't like ones that stretch out for so long b/c I'm obsessed with the before and after. But I burn through projects and project money so fast that I had to come up with one that would take a long time. I started painting the red. Then I mixed some cream into the existing yellow. But that was still too dark. It looked like McDonald's, as Chad so kindly put it. Honestly they were two too bold colors that competed. So I did a wash with the cream on top of it. I can barely tell, even in person, and I'm the one that did it.
Then I finished the red, started stenciling it, and found this curtain on clearance for $5! The fabric I wanted was going to cost over $100, so I'd call that a win!
You probably have to click on the picture to see it. The stenciling is a damask pattern I found online, traced onto some plastic, and cut out with an exacto knife. I love it. I took some of the wall color and mixed some craft paints into it to get the color I wanted. I wanted to just use polyurethane. I've seen it done in a bold strip. It's really subtle, just a sheen change. But it was too runny for such a delicate stencil. Then I went over it with a brown wash around the edges. I think it looks like aged wall paper. Chad says it looks like water damage... eh, what does he know j/k : ) As expected, it took forever, but I only got sick of it after making 4 stencils and then again having to scrape the paint off b/c it was too heavy to line it up properly. Still a win, I just won't be doing it again. Oh, I even painted the outlet covers. They were a weird coppery color. Now they're black with some brown distressing. Much better. Oh and be sure to check back in about 5-10 years when it's furnished. It'll be great, I promise.

3 comments:

Leighanna said...

Love it! I especially love your comment about the furniture... Don't I know that one. :) I may have to borrow you when I decide to finally take on my downstairs rooms (which I've been a little afraid to even think about as of yet!)

Dana said...

Carla I would almost say you loved my dinning room and copied it but that would be just a big fat joke. Its absolutely beautiful and I agree that the stenciling looks like distressed wallpaper or something. Its oh so subtle but just gives such a nice touch. As usual everything you touch turns to gold. Good job!!!!

The Longnecker Zoo said...

Of course it will be great. It's already half there. Looks great AS ALWAYS!!!!