Friday, July 31, 2009

BYOP

Chad has gotten his GA license (WAHOO!!) And we go next week to NC to take boards there. We'll send the kids to the beach with his parents and meet them there when we're done. Chad's been studying his behind off. It's a really hard test (40% pass rate, and lots of those aren't first timers!) He has even sequestered himself at his parents' house. It's a Bring Your Own Patient test. So I'll be his patient. He's been practicing a couple of procedures on me. One involves this little kaleidoscope sort of thing with a big glass contact lens on the end. It's called a gonio lens - for gonioscopy. He numbs my eye, puts that on my eye, and looks in by shining light and turning it a few times. Next, he dilates my other eye, wedges a tool between my eye and socket, pushes down, and has me look toward it.


I've never had to wear glasses or contacts. I'd been to the optometrist, had my eyes dilated once before now. I have an aversion to messing with eyes. I can handle certain things, but in general, it churns my stomach... I'm glad Chad's an optometrist, but I don't do eyes. I have to really talk myself through it each time he has to practice on me. All I have to say is they had better pass him the first time! Oh, and I can't wait until it's over and we can play at the beach.

1 comments:

Jodie said...

Yick. I'm with you--the whole eye-thing give me the heebie jeebies. What a good sport you are, though. Good luck, Chad!