Thursday, September 13, 2012

Birth Story

So everyone knows I expected Mr. Man to make his appearance weeks ago.  My first two babies were two and three weeks early.  So when I started having some contractions at 35 weeks, I was afraid to go so early but figured he'd come a week or two later... FOUR WEEKS later, on a Saturday, I started leaking fluid.  Still no contractions though, so I called the Dr.  She said to go get checked if contractions hadn't started within 24 hours.  Chad and the kids were at a bbq, so I called and told him we'd be going in to get checked the following morning, to tell our on-call friends.  So ALL of our friends knew the news.  So we went in, they tested me and said no dice.  I felt so stupid and disappointed.  We got home on Sunday at about 3.  After we got the kids in bed at 8:00, we sat down to watch a movie.  I was timing contractions.  But throughout the 4 weeks of waiting, I'd had plenty of equally consistent and painful contractions.  So I didn't trust them.  Too many false starts.  I had to be certain.  By 10:30, I started thinking "ok, maybe he's coming tonight."  But again, having just been to the hospital and sent home... I prayed for certainty.  At about 11:30, I was pretty certain.  So I got out of bed to get ready and my water broke... for real.  New territory for me.  Doctors broke my water with the others.  So I knew what it was when I felt it break, but I was not prepared for it!  There was SO MUCH!  I think I lost a gallon or two!  Anyway, sparing any more details, we made it out to the car and to the hospital at about midnight.  It took a long time to get up to L&D b/c contractions got serious in the car.  I was at about a 5 when I got there.  With my others, I'd had an epidural by then.  The staff really hurried to get me admitted and ready for an epidural, but it was another hour until I could get it.  So I'm guessing I was at about a 7 or 8 by then?  I don't know how people go all the way!!  I am not a graceful laborer! I writhed and "owe"ed a lot.  I kept thinking "eugh, I'm such a baby." haha.  Though I do think I could've handled it a bit better if I'd expected to go so far on my own.
The pep talk was "ok, only half a bag of fluid left..."  They pumped the fluids so fast that I shivered uncontrollably.  I didn't think the anesthesiologist would be able to do it b/c I was shaking so hard, but he did a great job.  I finally got numb and warm and got about an hour of rest before pushing.  Some of you may be thinking, "a 7 or 8, with only an hour left to go?  What was the point of the epidural?  Was it worth it?"  HECK YES it was worth it!  3 pushes (from flat on my back :{ Not sure why they didn't break the bed down.) and not much damage later, he was born.  The nurses were all shocked at how big he was b/c they thought his head seemed small.  One of them also said, "well you wore it well!  You're so tiny!"  That made me smile.  8lb.5oz.  My other kids were 7lb.  He's SO BEAUTIFUL!!  Great color, no wrinkly old man look, just pink and plump, and better head control.  Calvin Kacher, born at 2:37 on Monday, Sept. 3rd, Labor Day.
Later that day the kids came to see.
On the way to the hospital, Everett kept saying, "I might shake a little."  But he did great holding him.  I think he's only held him once since we've been home, if that.  But he comes over occasionally to give kisses.  My boys are so cute!!
Everett's been a little more interested in my flabby tummy.  At first he said, "so you've got another baby in there?"  It has shrunk enough now that he gets that there are no more babies.  And he likes that it doesn't hurt anymore and he can squish it and pinch it.  Haha.  And only 9 days later, it's flabby, but I keep thinking, "how in the world did he fit in there??"  It really is quite amazing.  And then I look at that 38 week picture and go "oh yeah.  No wonder I was so uncomfortable."  Haha.

Anyway, Chloe?  She was smitten!  She held him a lot and kept saying, "I could just stay here all day with Calvin."  The next day, we were waiting to be discharged when Chad ran across the street to get some work done.  Everett went with him, Chloe stayed with me, happily holding Calvin that whole time.
And she took a few pictures too.
They wanted to keep us another day.  This hospital has some silly policies.  And hospitals are not comfy, and they won't let you sleep.  So I was super excited to get home.  And this is what I came home to:
The ladies from church have been amazing at offering and giving help, love and support.  Flowers, candy, cards, oh, and dinners, lots of dinners.  They're amazing.  We have gobs of new babies all the time at church, and still they made me feel like the only one.

And Curly.  She didn't seem to notice at first.  She spazzed when we got home b/c she'd been left outside for a while (typical.)  But I was holding Calvin while petting her neck when she started to pounce on him.  Mama bear grabbed what was in my hand mid-air and threw her back.  She yelped.  But she has been very careful ever since.  She lays next to me when I'm feeding him and watches out for him when he cries.  She gives me concerned looks like, "hey, come on, he needs you."

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this. I love reading birth stories. :) And What a sweet, darling boy! Congrats again!

Bond Bedlam said...

Sweet. I noticed it was Welcome Home baby Calvin (what happened to Mama?) I am glad curley is accepting him.