Monday, September 19, 2011

Schooling Thoughts

I realized that I hadn't "left it all on the road" last week. Evidenced by my horrible, terrible, very bad, no good weekend. I suppose it was just the hormones catching up to me though. But anyway, I do really feel like I'm back now. I had a GREAT run today and a VERY productive day.


Here's what's on my mind now though. I'm really kind of struggling with Chloe's teacher/schooling situation. She's in a "multigrade" program, where her K and a 1st grade class are supposed to blend a little, work together a bit. It's not at all the program they "sold" us on. It's really just regular K. Her teacher seems to just be punching the time clock, not what I got accustomed to last year. And she's not at all interested in getting to know or work with me. She sends home probably 30 to 45 minutes of stuff I'm supposed to do every night with her.

I love that she's not learning laziness at school. The whole school really pushes AR, a reading comprehension program, the bulk of the homework has to do with that. But at the same time, she's in kindergarten! Homework? Really? Maybe 15 minutes, just to keep us current on what they're doing in class. I've got more important things to be teaching her in the few hours I get her: chores, riding her bike, scripture time, tying her shoes, art time which is her niche, time to be a kid. Oh, and forget extracurriculars! Forget trying to find another hobby at which she can excel. It's all just a lot of pressure to put on a 6 year old... Oh, PS, she only gets 20 minutes to eat lunch, at 11:15, only 3.5 hours after breakfast. What kid can focus on their food well enough to get it eaten in 20 minutes when they're not yet hungry? And no snack time, except on "Fun Friday." So she's always hungry. I resent our society for putting so much pressure on kids these days, and I refuse to do it, but it's tough.

I realize no situation is perfect. And her teacher could be a LOT worse... actually I need to visit her class. But it's my baby, and I want the very best for her. And we've only been at this a few weeks. So I don't really know what I should expect from a teacher/school. Today, I told her teacher that we would not be doing the AR related homework unless time permits. And we'll start having snacks after school. I suppose that's the solution for now. Am I over reacting? I just feel like the further in we go, the more stuff irritates me. I've been thinking about it all day. I'll think about it a lot more too.

5 comments:

Shawny said...

Can I just say, "Wow!" 30-45 minutes of homework!!!??? That's insane. I'd be mad too. And, no snack!?! That's crazy! Seriously, what in the world? I do have to agree with you on the 20 minute lunch. Our school has really short lunch too and Rex would always come home and say he didn't have time to eat this or that and they are always hurrying them. It bothers me. Like today, they served an orange and he needed help to peel it but none of the aides paid him any attention and so he just threw it away. Or the time when he needed help peeling his banana and the lunch aid told him to peel it himself. I hate putting my kids in the hands of others, but I guess it has to be done at some point whether we like it or not, but we can still feel dissatisfied. Maybe you should talk with the other parents and see what they think and then all talk to the principal. I don't know. It's a hard situation.

Anonymous said...

I agree Carla, my kids were told to throw away their lunches sometimes. I was mad. I feel sometimes teachers have a no win situation with 30 kids, but I don't like putting my kids into "the system" that squashes all individuality and creativity. M5's prek class plays, and we got a letter home stating why our prek'ers wouldn't be bringing home homework or many worksheeets. It was really refreshing!

Dana said...

OH CArla, listen to your instinct girl!!! Matthew one day is suppose to have a homework assignment that is using his spelling word in a sentence. Guess who has to do that??? Well I am NOT doing it@!!!!! I have ALWAYS hated the lunch time thing because by the time they get in there and sit down they only have maybe 10 minutes to eat. WEll they say 20 but that is really not the case. I do not blame you for feeling the way you do!!!! The more I think about it the more I am hating the school system. I need someone to teach me about homeschooling like someone taught me how to coupon. I am very visual. I have felt more and more like I need to homeschool at least some of my kids. Anyway I just say listen to your gut and keep an eye on that teacher!!!

My Many Coloured Days said...

I have way too many thoughts on this subject. I really do feel that a lot of a schooling experience comes down to the teacher in the classroom. I think more parents should interview teachers and request teachers that will best fit their child's needs and learning styles. It's just kindergarten... you could always homeschool :)

The Longnecker Zoo said...

I agree with you saying that about AR. We don't start AR until the end of 2nd grade at our school. And no snack for a K???? INSANE! I would be hoppin' mad. Even now "I" gets to have and eat a snack at her desk whenever she "feels the need while she works". I know what you need. Come to my town. I could use a sister close by :) See! Problem solved :)