Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gymnastics

I'm shocked that I got so many comments so quickly on my last post. I figured everyone would have given up on me by now. So thank you my "loyal fans" i.e. loved ones and those of you with google reader;) So almost every day Everett says, "Mom, every day when Daddy goes to work and Chloe goes to school, I'm bored." But I recently got him into gymnastics. He still says it, but it helps. It's something we'd been thinking about for a long time. But I dragged my feet on doing it. Turns out, it's a lot of fun (sometimes for both of us), and doesn't make me feel too much like a taxi b/c it's only once a week. He loves it. At first it was hard for me to not be able to correct his behavior as I'm only allowed in the observation room. He's a little more unruly than I'd like, but it's fun to see the personalities of all the little ones. Each day they do a little obstacle course of sorts:Can you see him way back there? Hehe. It was really hard to get any pictures clear enough to tell what's happening.And sometimes they hang from the rings. After bringing their feet up, they get to hang as long as they can.And a few balance beam activities.Most of the personality comes out when they're waiting their turn.This little boy is what the tactful would call high energy. He's not a bad kid, but he seriously Never stops moving. He incites Everett sometimes. They were fast friends. There's one other boy that wasn't there this day. On our first day he came out saying "Mom, mom, can I go to Everett's house? He has STAIRS!" (The stairs, for the two years we've lived here, have been the kids' favorite toy EVER. I guess E had been telling him about how cool they are?) Obviously they became fast friends too.

And they do some trampoline play. But that's old news for Everett.
So is the hanging bar b/c Chad has a pull up bar in the house that the kids get to play on sometimes.
But sometimes they get to jump into the foam pit. That's his favorite, along with the rings (not sure how the rings differ from the bar though.) He has taken to each apparatus like a fish to water. The high beam is the only one where any reservation is apparent. He has reached the stage where every curb is a balance beam, and every hand rail a hanging bar. So he's thriving and loving it. He just wishes he could do it every day.

We may get Chloe into something soon, but I keep dragging my feet there too. I struggle with the idea of adding something ELSE to her day (and mine.) Evenings are packed already. And we spend summers at the beach house so... I dunno. We'll see.

5 comments:

Hope said...

What a spectacular idea! I'm thinking that will be a perfect activity for Spencer next year! He's not coordinated for soccer or peewee football. And he HATES swimming. Gymnastics seems like a perfect fit!

Everette is so stinkin' cute! Although, I'm curious, does this give him ideas to practice at home? :D

Carla said...

no he doesn't do any crazy stunts at home, or practice either.

Dana said...

All I can say is you have a very typical little boy on your hands. But gymnastics is a wonderful place to harness that energy. It does get easier with boys. They are hard at first and get easier Girls total opposite!!!

Dana said...

OH hey have you had any updates on your craft blog? I can't seem to find the link to it. YOU should put a link to it on this blog so we can go look at it.

Carla said...

Oh Everett's not difficult. Actually he's SO easy! I was saying the other kid was high energy. i'll go put a link up.