So we went to an estate sale a while back. They thought a lot of the items there in my opinion. I spent $35 on this office chair. It's the same amount I would've spent on the cheapest office chair around.I just didn't much care for the fabric, only because it was pilled and I couldn't get it clean.
But my friend knew I wanted to learn how to reupholster. She invited me over to help her do a wing backed chair. I brought my chair over to see if she could get me started, because I didn't know where to start trying to take it apart. With her help, I got it apart that day.
I got some AWESOME fabric for a good price. It's an upholstery weight dupioni silk. It's backed with canvas, so it's really sturdy.
So I got all of the pieces recovered and put back together the next day. It's not perfect, but pretty darn good for my first try. I only ran into one snag. There are lots of different kinds kinds of tack strips. I reused them all. But when I tried to do my first arm panel, I couldn't get it right. I put it in and took it out so many times that the tacks started breaking off. So I got all of the inside done and put back together. Then I had to order a tack strip and wait for it to come. It came quickly, but I was bitter. It costs $.5o for this piece. $6 to ship it, and that was cheap. Most places wanted about $13 for shipping!! Bah. But it came and worked for me.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Reupholstery
I like it.
Posted by Carla at 7:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What an adventurous thing to try. I am not surprised you did it and it looks wonderful!!! I am shocked they wanted 35$ for that chair but yet again you turned something ugly into something totally beautiful!!!
S W E E T ! ! ! ! Love it as always!
Post a Comment