Saturday, December 25, 2010

Skate Party

Last week was pretty crazy with the two Christmas parties. But one of Chloe's best friends had her birthday party as well, at the skating rink. I'd never taken Chloe skating and felt like it was something I should squeeze in. I'm so glad I did because we had a great time, and because this friend is about to move.


Chloe did great. She got frustrated at times, as I knew she would. She is her mother's daughter after all. But we had talked about it, and she each time decided to have a good attitude and keep playing.

Her friend is the cutest, sweetest girl. When we first got there, she did a lot to help Chloe get a feel for it.
All of these pics were taken with my phone. So I didn't get "Roller Roo" or Santa. Chloe was excited that Santa gave her a high five.
We were the only ones from school that showed up. It was a bit awkward with no other moms I knew, but c'est la vie.
Here she's frustrated because she wants to skate backwards like the few in the room that knew what they were doing. Funny girl. She feels she should master everything on her first try. Poor girl is too much like me. She did pick up and keep going though and trying to have fun. I'm grateful for that, and admire it given her age.
Thankfully it was during the "slow skate" time of day. So we didn't get trampled. I hadn't skated since I was her age, besides inline skating... not the same, I assure you. So I had a hard time too, falling a couple of times. It's tough to help someone else when you can't stay up yourself. I didn't feel too bad about my minor wipeouts though after seeing a young teenager having a super hard time. It must have been her first time; I had to admire her tenacity. Boy I was sore the next day. Adult bodies are just not forgiving. But this is definitely something I want to do more of.

On our way home, she said "Momma, I will never forget my first time skating!" I'm so glad she was able to keep the frustration from taking over.

1 comments:

Dana said...

Our family loves skating. what a fun time and what a sweet thing for her to say she will never forget it.