Chloe decided she wanted to learn how to sew. Oh boy...
So we picked some fabric and made a blanket. Oh my nerves were shot by the end of this little project. But I was super proud of Chloe. She didn't get frustrated... actually, I was the problem this time. Have a mentioned that teaching doesn't come naturally to me? When Chloe decides to learn something, she actually can be quite patient with herself. I, on the other hand, still get frustrated when she doesn't get it... not because I think she should but because I don't know how else to teach something than to just show it. And then she would get upset b/c I was getting frustrated with her. But I explained that it was just because I didn't know how to teach... it was borderline torture. But we powered through. And I'm glad we did. She's super proud of how hard she worked on her beautiful new blanket. I'm super proud that I didn't put my fist through the wall... I mean I'm super proud of how well she did and how patient she was, both with herself and with me. And the kicker is that she's eager to continue practicing. And since I figured out how, I'm eager to help her practice. I really am so proud of her.
Anyway, he said he wanted to learn, but I couldn't do that, so I got by with just him helping me. He helped thread the machine, pushed the pedal and stuffed it. I don't think you can tell how little stuffing is in there. That's how he wanted it :)
As we took photos and they gleamed with pride, I was reminded of my grandma. One summer that we spent with her, she had us each make a baby quilt and chose a recipe to make with her. I made peanut butter cookies:) Sister #2 and I were the only sewers at the time. So we ended up finishing everyone else's after we got home. Actually, I don't think sister #3 even got that far. But I remember my brother getting SO frustrated... ah, fond memories.
3 comments:
Nice Job Carla! Lillian and Kurt started a quilt a year ago. Kurt is now hoping Lillian will forget but every couple of months she says, "Dad when are we going to finish our quilt."
YES! I didn't get that far! Tell Chloe and Everett that I am so very proud of them!
You are a good mama. Its hard for me to teach my kids too. I just want to grab it and do it for them. And to let go of control over my machine is VERY hard!!!! I am proud of you though. Tell them Aunt Dana is proud of them and their work!!!!
Post a Comment